1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field question

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    If an oil drop with mass 1.00x10^-14 kg loses an electron whilst in an electric field of 1.00x10^6 N/C, what is the change in acceleration?

F_e = qE

So I know delta a for change in acceleration will be (qE/m) final - (qE/m) initial... but what do I use for q (I can't use 1.60*10^-19 C, right, because that's just for one electron and not the whole oil droplet?). Also, will the electric field stay the same?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2
    Would the oil droplet initially be considered neutral, so that the initial component (with Q=0) cancels out?????????
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

It looks like you have to assume that the initial charge Q0 = 0 since you're not given any other info.

The electric field applied should stay the same; the loss of an electron does not affect the applied field strength.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?