Electric Field Strength Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric field strength using the formula E = V/d, where V is the difference in voltage between two plates and d is the distance between them. It is mentioned that the formula can be used for both positive and negative voltages, as they are equivalent in terms of creating a voltage difference.
123ryoma12
I already posted this, but it was on the wrong section.
upload_2015-9-20_16-36-16-png.88944.png

This is from the 2009 HSC exam. (I'm in Australia)
I checked the answers and found that electric field strength was
E = 100/0.10 = 1000V/m
My question is, what would the electric field strength be if the positively charged plate was +100V instead of 0V
Would it be 200/0.1 = 2000V/m?
Is the formula E = The difference in volts between the two plates / distance.
A person replied and said the two answer are correct

But another question came up to my mind
http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys03/aparplate/plate3.gif
In this gif where
E = V/d
Shouldn't it be E = 2V/d
as there is voltage going to the positive and negatively charged plate for example
if the battery has 10V
The negatively charged would be -10V and the positively charge would be 10V
Then E = 20/d

Physics news on Phys.org
123ryoma12 said:
as there is voltage going to the positive and negatively charged plate for example
if the battery has 10V
The negatively charged would be -10V and the positively charge would be 10V
Then E = 20/d
If the battery is 10V then it creates a 10V difference. If you want to think of the two voltages as 0 and 10, or -10 and 0, or -5 and +5, it's up to you. They are all equivalent. But it is not -10 and +10 since that would be a 20V difference.

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the strength or intensity of an electric field at a particular point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a small test charge placed at that point.

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force on a small test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. It is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

What are the units for electric field strength?

The SI unit for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C). However, other commonly used units include volts per meter (V/m) and newtons per volt-meter (N/Vm).

How does distance affect electric field strength?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charges. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

What are the applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength has various applications, including determining the force between two charges, calculating the potential difference between two points in an electric field, and understanding the behavior of electric fields in different materials.