1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields, distance, and potential difference

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The potential difference between the accelerating plates of a TV set is about 20 kV. If the distance between the plates is 1.0 cm, find the magnitude of the uniform electric field in the region between the plates.

2. Relevant equations

V=ED so E=V/D where E is the electric field and D is the distance between the plates

3. The attempt at a solution

I am soooo confused. I swear im just plugging in the numbers. since kv is 1000 v and cm is 1/100th of a m i did 20,000/.01 and that was wrong. I did this because they want the answer in N/C and i thought that conversion factor was right... any suggestions???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation looks right to me. What did you get for a final answer? Did you include the units in your answer?

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    yes the units are already written after the equation. I got 2.0*10^6. after going over everything it looks right to me...

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, looks right to me too. Weird.

6. Sep 18, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

What's the answer supposed to be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?