Electric Field Calculations: Speed and Zero Points | Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about two questions related to electric fields and particle velocity. The first question involves finding the speed of a particle when it is parallel to the electric field. The second question is about determining finite values of the electric field when a positive charge is at the origin and a negative charge is at x=5.8m. The person is having trouble solving these problems and is seeking help.
cnugrl
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i am in major need of help. i have 2 questions. first is determining the speed of a particle when the speed is parallel to the electric field. i talked to my prof. and he suggested finding the energy, U, and by integrating E with respect to z, by doing so, that left me with E*z from Zinitial (1-cos(theta)*L) to Zfinal(0). after doing this, i st this equal to 1/2 mv^2. to solve for the velocity, however, i am not getting the correct answer. :mad: and I'm getting frustrated. does anyone know where i am going wrong?

my second question is finding finite value(s) where an electric field is zero. by having a +q charge at the orgin and a -2q charge at x=5.8m. my professor told me to use kq/r^2 and where q is and q or -2q and r is x and x-d respectively where d is 5.8 m. i solving and put the equation = 0, and used the quadratic formula to get the answer. However, i am not getting this correct, when i solve for x i get x^2+2xd-d^2. i have used various other ways of trying to get this answer correct, by changing the signs and and i am still getting incorrect answers. I need to do the same with electric potential, but i do not understand how i can get 2 answers from a linear equation. i am getting d-3x where d =5.8 m. :confused:
if anyone could help, i would appreciate it so much

Physics news on Phys.org
cnugrl said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i am in major need of help. i have 2 questions. first is determining the speed of a particle when the speed is parallel to the electric field. i talked to my prof. and he suggested finding the energy, U, and by integrating E with respect to z, by doing so, that left me with E*z from Zinitial (1-cos(theta)*L) to Zfinal(0). after doing this, i st this equal to 1/2 mv^2. to solve for the velocity, however, i am not getting the correct answer. :mad: and I'm getting frustrated. does anyone know where i am going wrong?

Who's "Z"...?

The equation is:
[tex] m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=q\vec{E} [/tex]

If the acceleration has the sense with the velocity (the sense of the acc.is the same with the one of the electric field for a positively cherged particle),then project the previous relation on an axis and integrate wrt to corresponding limits...

cnugrl said:
my second question is finding finite value(s) where an electric field is zero. by having a +q charge at the orgin and a -2q charge at x=5.8m. my professor told me to use kq/r^2 and where q is and q or -2q and r is x and x-d respectively where d is 5.8 m. i solving and put the equation = 0, and used the quadratic formula to get the answer. However, i am not getting this correct, when i solve for x i get x^2+2xd-d^2. i have used various other ways of trying to get this answer correct, by changing the signs and and i am still getting incorrect answers. I need to do the same with electric potential, but i do not understand how i can get 2 answers from a linear equation. i am getting d-3x where d =5.8 m. :confused:
if anyone could help, i would appreciate it so much

No,on normal basis it should reduce to a quadratic...

Daniel.

Z is the limit bounds...initial to final. plus, i was using it as a variable to integrate on

Related to Electric Field Calculations: Speed and Zero Points | Help Needed

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged particle has on other charged particles in its surrounding space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has a magnitude and direction.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of charged particles. Positive charges create an outward electric field, while negative charges create an inward electric field. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

What are the units of an electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This means that for every coulomb of charge, there is a certain amount of force acting on it due to the electric field. Another commonly used unit is volts per meter (V/m).

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are related but different concepts. Electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle, while electric potential is a measure of the energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field.

What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include electric motors, which use electric fields to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and capacitors, which use electric fields to store and release electrical energy. Electric fields are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and defibrillators.