Electric filed physics problem. Help

In summary: I am not sure how to find the charge to mass ratio?In summary, Earth has a net electric charge of -6.774*10^5 C and an electrostatic potential of -9.55*10^8 V at its surface. By using the electric field of the Earth, the acceleration of a proton released near the surface can be calculated using the equation a = Eq/m. The charge-to-mass ratio of a particle that would hover in place near Earth's surface can be determined by setting the electric force equal to the force of gravity and solving for q/m. This results in a value of -0.0654 C/kg. The total energy associated with the electric field of the Earth can be calculated using the equation

Vela. I'm really confused I've been working on this for hours. I know that the gravitational and electric force have to cancel in order for the particle to be hovering.how would another force be included in the equation q/m=a/E ? or am i using the wrong equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

sept26bc said:
Vela. I'm really confused I've been working on this for hours. I know that the gravitational and electric force have to cancel in order for the particle to be hovering.how would another force be included in the equation q/m=a/E ? or am i using the wrong equation?

So, you need [itex]\displaystyle \frac{|F_\text{electric}|}{|F_\text{gravity}|}=1\ .[/itex] Correct?

How is [itex]\displaystyle |F_\text{electric}| [/itex] related to E and [itex]\displaystyle |F_\text{gravity}| [/itex] related to g ?

well F=ma and E=F/q so E= ma/q

|Felectric| is related to E by E=F/q
and |Fgravity| related to g by F=ma

correct?

im not understanding why you have Felectric/ Fgravity=1

Last edited:

sept26bc said:
well F=ma and E=F/q so E= ma/q

|Felectric| is related to E by E=F/q
and |Fgravity| related to g by F=ma

correct?

im not understanding why you have Felectric/ Fgravity=1
If the particle hovers, what is its acceleration?

the acceleration would be zero because its not moving.

So you know there are two forces on the particle, the force of gravity ##\vec{F}_g## and the electric force ##\vec{F}_E##. You also know the acceleration is 0 because it's not moving.

What is the magnitude of ##\vec{F}_g##? What is the magnitude of ##\vec{F}_E##?

Now take all that info and use Newton's second law, which is ##\sum \vec{F} = ma##. What do you get?