1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux Density / Electric Field Intensity

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    Hey people,

I'm struggling to understand exactly what Electric Flux Density D and Electric Field Intensity E are.

So far, my understanding is that D depends on relative permittivity, while E depends only on the permittivity of free space. Also, I understand that D reflects only the free charges, while E reflects both free and bound charges. Where I'm stuck though, is that my book also tells me that D is independent of the medium it is in, while E is dependent on the medium it is in. This just doesn't click with me, since the actual value of E doesn't change if you change the medium (and thus the relative permittivity), while the value of D does.

Can anyone help me out here?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The vector quantity B is not the electric flux density, it is the magnetic flux density (or magnetic field depending upon your reference). D is the electric flux density and is related to the electric field by

[tex]\mathbf{D} = \epsilon \mathbf{E}[/tex]

The boundary conditions for D and E are different. For example, the tangential E field is continuous across a boundary but the normal E field is discontinuous. The normal D across the boundary differs by the charge density that accumulates on the boundary so if we assume no bound charges then the normal D field is continuous, but the normal E field is still discontinuous if there is a change int he permittivity.

So both the D and E fields can change between media depending upon the properties of the media but most cases will assume that no charges will build up on the interface and thus the D field can be continuous in more cases.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook