Electric flux (positive, negative, or zero?)

In summary, a positive point charge on the left side of a picture and an area defined by a loop on the right leads to a question about the electric flux through the loop. The answer is likely positive due to the alignment of the area vector and electric field lines, but there may be some missing information due to previous absences.
rwrem

Homework Statement

Imagine a positive point charge on the left side of the picture and an area defined by a loop on the right. I was asked to draw and label the area vector and sketch the electric field lines due to the point charge, which I did. The next questions asks:

Is the electric flux through the loop due to the charge positive, negative, or zero?

===

My inclination is to say positive because the direction the area vector points is the same as the direction of the electric field lines.

But, the materials I've seen so far talks about the the electric flux flowing into or out of some enclosed box or sphere and never really mentions that an electric flux can be positive or negative. I can understand where you could get a zero total flux answer, where the flux flowing into and out of a box is the same, but am not sure how that relates to the situation above.

Again, due to missing some classes due to swine flu, I may have missed some fundamental explanations...

Physics news on Phys.org
So, I guess it's positive, then? Seems logical to me, but I'm surprised no one has commented yet...

I would say that the electric flux through the loop is positive. This is because the electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. In this case, the electric field lines are directed towards the loop, indicating a positive flux. The fact that the area vector is also pointing in the same direction as the electric field lines reinforces this idea.

However, it is important to note that the electric flux can also be negative or zero, depending on the situation. For example, if the point charge was negative, the electric field lines would be directed away from the loop and the flux would be negative. And if the loop was parallel to the electric field lines, the flux would be zero because no field lines are passing through the loop.

It is also important to mention that the concept of electric flux is often used in the context of enclosed surfaces, as you mentioned. In this case, the flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the normal vector to the surface. This can result in a positive or negative value, depending on the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the surface.

In summary, the electric flux through the loop in this scenario is positive due to the direction of the electric field lines and the area vector. However, it is important to consider different scenarios and understand how the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the surface can affect the value of electric flux.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the normal vector of the surface. The equation is ΦE = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the magnitude of the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface normal.

3. What is positive electric flux?

Positive electric flux occurs when the electric field lines are entering a closed surface. This indicates a net flow of electric field into the surface, and is represented by a positive value for electric flux.

4. What is negative electric flux?

Negative electric flux occurs when the electric field lines are leaving a closed surface. This indicates a net flow of electric field out of the surface, and is represented by a negative value for electric flux.

5. Can electric flux be zero?

Yes, electric flux can be zero if the electric field lines are parallel to the surface or if there is no electric field present in the area. In these cases, there is no net flow of electric field through the surface, resulting in a value of zero for electric flux.