Electric flux through a sphere

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electric flux through a drilled hole in an uncharged hollow sphere with a charge located at the center. The solution involves using the equation Flux=EA and multiplying it by the ratio of the smaller radius squared to the larger radius squared. However, the textbook shows the flux through a sphere to be equal to 4*k*q*pi, which is explained by integrating over the entire surface to get the surface area of a sphere. The motivation for using the correction factor in the solution is not geometrically intuitive, but it works for this particular problem.
PosteMortem

Homework Statement

An uncharged nonconductive hollow sphere of radius 12.0 cm surrounds a 11.0 µC charge located at the origin of a cartesian coordinate system. A drill with a radius of 1.00 mm is aligned along the z axis, and a hole is drilled in the sphere. Calculate the electric flux through the hole.

Homework Equations

Flux=EA

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the solution for this problem. I found the flux for the sphere to be equal to (kq/r^2)*(pi*r^2)=k*q*pi, and after multiplying that value by the ratio of the smaller radius squared to the larger radius squared, I got the answer. However, I was reading the textbook, and it shows the flux through a sphere to be equal to 4*k*q*pi, the reason being that integrating over the entire surface will give us the surface area of a sphere. I'm confused as to how these two answers could be different. Shouldn't it be the same in both cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the units of each. One is a flux, the other a field strength.

What motivated you multiply the electric field strength by ##\pi r^2##? It provided a correction factor, but it seems geometrically unmotivated at first glance (at least to me). A bit of algebra shows that it will work if you use the ratio of radii squared as a multiplier to select the amount of flux, but one is the radius of a volume and the other a radius of an area. Not exactly intuitive. Nothing succeeds like success, I suppose! But what would you have done if the hole happened to be a square punched in the surface?

When you start with the total flux over a spherical surface and want to know the flux that comes through some small aperture at the surface you multiply the total flux by the ratio of the total surface area to the area of the aperture.

What is electric flux through a sphere?

The electric flux through a sphere is the measure of the electric field passing through the surface of a sphere. It is a scalar quantity and is typically represented by the symbol ΦE.

How is electric flux through a sphere calculated?

The electric flux through a sphere can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the area vector of the sphere's surface. This can be represented by the equation ΦE = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the sphere's surface, and θ is the angle between the two vectors.

What factors affect the electric flux through a sphere?

The electric flux through a sphere is affected by the strength of the electric field passing through it, the size and shape of the sphere, and the orientation of the sphere's surface relative to the electric field.

What is the unit of measurement for electric flux through a sphere?

The unit of measurement for electric flux through a sphere is volt-meters (V*m) or newton-meters squared per coulomb (N*m2/C).

What is the significance of electric flux through a sphere in physics?

The concept of electric flux through a sphere is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their interactions with charged particles. It is also used in various applications such as calculating the strength of electric fields generated by charged objects or determining the amount of charge enclosed within a closed surface.