Electric flux through open surface

In summary: So,If the charge is located at the corner of a cube the fraction of the volume enclosed by the cube is 1/8. The reciprocal of that is the number of cubes needed to completely enclose the... charge.If the charge is located at the corner of a cube the fraction of the volume enclosed by the cube is 1/8. The reciprocal of that is the number of cubes needed to completely enclose the... charge.
gracy
I know in such type of questions we should try to enclose the charge completely and symmetrically by as many bodies requires as that of the given body.
Let's say if Charge Q is kept at the mouth centre of a hemisphere .Here a hemisphere is given so we know if another hemisphere is placed below it will enclose the charge completely by a sphere.So,the flux through one hemisphere is Q/2ε0
But This was a simple case but when there is a cube I have difficult time in covering the charge completely for example when charge Q is placed at the centre of the edge of a cube.Please guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
I have difficult time in covering the charge completely
Why is it difficult if your cube is bigger than the charge distribution?

blue_leaf77 said:
Why is it difficult if your cube is bigger than the charge distribution?
I did not understand .Could you please elaborate this?

Actually it was because I did not completely get your point that I asked you in post #3. Ok you have a cube and you place a charged body in the center of the cube, what difficulty are you facing, do you want to calculate the flux through the cube? Am I visualizing the problem correctly?

blue_leaf77 said:
do you want to calculate the flux through the cube?
No.
gracy said:
I have difficult time in covering the charge completely
As I have done in here
gracy said:
.Here a hemisphere is given so we know if another hemisphere is placed below it will enclose the charge completely by a sphere.

Do you want the upper half of the enclosing surface to be a hemisphere and the lower half to be a half cleaved cube?

blue_leaf77 said:
Do you want the upper half of the enclosing surface to be a hemisphere and the lower half to be a half cleaved cube?
No.
gracy said:
we should try to enclose the charge completely and symmetrically by as many bodies requires as that of the given body.
So enclosing surface has to be cube only

If your charge is in a form of a sphere placed at the origin of the coordinate system, and you want to calculate the flux through a half cube placed above it such that its open surface is centered at the origin and slices the charged sphere in half, the flux through it will be half of that of a complete cube, just as the case for spherical enclosing surface. However it may be more complicated if the charge is not centered in the cube and/or it has irregular shape.

Well ,
gracy said:
I have difficult time in covering the charge completely for example when charge Q is placed at the centre of the edge of a cube
In this case I am required total four cubes to cover Q completely,I don't understand ,how?

gracy said:
Well ,

In this case I am required total four cubes to cover Q completely,I don't understand ,how?
Take an orange. Cut it into four equal slices. Put it on the center of the edge of a box. How many slices did you have to remove to do that?

DaleSpam said:
Put it on the center of the edge of a box
You mean the four slices?

gracy said:
You mean the four slices?
As many of the four slices as you can to make something that still looks like an orange.

The question is how many slices must you remove to set the orange on the edge.

DaleSpam said:
to set the orange on the edge.
How can I?Edge is linear.

That is why you have to take out some slices. How many?

If you cannot do this mentally then physically go cut an orange into four slices and see how many you need to remove to place the remaining slices neatly on the edge.

I think you are trying to describe how to visualize the intersection of two planes
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/fourcubes-jpg.88863/

Last edited by a moderator:
edge.png

Now could you please explain your orange example

No. If I knew an easy way to explain it I would have done so rather than suggest you try a physical example. Besides, you understand the geometry now, so what would be the point?

OK.This time I took help of intersection of two planes but what if asks charge Q is placed at the corner of a cube?How would I decide how many cubes it would take to cover the charge completely?

Come on gracy. What do you think? You have already figured this out for two cases, use the same reasoning approach that you used for those, and apply it here.

I think what Dale is suggesting is you imagine the fraction of the volume enclosed by one of the cubes. If the charge is located at the corner of a cube the fraction of the volume enclosed by the cube is 1/8. The reciprocal of that is the number of cubes needed to completely enclose the charge.

1. What is electric flux through an open surface?

The electric flux through an open surface is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through the surface. It is defined as the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector.

2. What is the unit of electric flux through an open surface?

The unit of electric flux through an open surface is volt meters (V·m) or newton meters squared per coulomb (N·m2/C).

3. How is electric flux through an open surface calculated?

The electric flux through an open surface can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field over the surface.

4. What is the significance of electric flux through an open surface?

The electric flux through an open surface is a measure of the strength of the electric field passing through the surface. It is useful in understanding the behavior of electric fields and can be used in various applications such as in capacitors and electric generators.

5. Is the electric flux through an open surface always constant?

No, the electric flux through an open surface can vary depending on the shape and orientation of the surface and the distribution of the electric field. It is constant only if the electric field and the surface are parallel to each other.