Solve Motor Coil Current at Startup & Full Speed

In summary, there is a question about the coil current of a motor with a resistance of 10 Ω and a voltage of 120 V. When the motor is at rated speed, its emf is 70 V. The likely equations to solve this problem are V = Ri and E = V - Ri. The calculated coil current for when the motor is started is 12 A and at rated speed is 5 A. However, there is uncertainty about whether these equations are correct.
Lucas123
Homework Statement
electric machines
Relevant Equations
I do not know
The question I'm in doubt about is

The motor coil has a resistance of 10 Ω and is powered by a voltage of 120 V. When the motor is operating at rated speed, its emf is 70 V. Thus, it is questioned:

a) What is the coil current when the motor is started?
b) What is the coil current at rated speed?

What equations can I use to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must make the attempt (rules of the website) . The difficult part is to decide which equations apply. What are likely candidates and why?

I thought about solving it like this:
a) V = Ri -> 120 = 10i -> i = 12 A

b) E = V - Ri -> 70 = 120 - 10i -> i = 5 A

But I don't know if it's correct

If I remember correctly (I do not do motors regularly) that will be true for an unloaded motor running at its design speed. Somebody will correct me as required... please.

I get the same answers you do.

[But your equations look funny here (odd characters), I can't sort them out.]

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is Motor Coil Current?

Motor Coil Current is the amount of electrical current flowing through the coils of a motor. It is an important factor in determining the performance and efficiency of a motor.

2. Why is it important to solve Motor Coil Current at startup and full speed?

Solving Motor Coil Current at startup and full speed ensures that the motor is operating at its optimal level and prevents damage to the motor. It also helps to improve the overall efficiency and performance of the motor.

3. How can Motor Coil Current be calculated?

Motor Coil Current can be calculated by using the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the motor coils. This formula can be applied at both startup and full speed to determine the current.

4. What factors can affect Motor Coil Current?

Several factors can affect Motor Coil Current, including the voltage supplied to the motor, the resistance of the motor coils, and the load on the motor. Other factors such as temperature and motor design can also impact the current.

5. How can Motor Coil Current be managed?

Motor Coil Current can be managed by adjusting the voltage supplied to the motor, using lower resistance coils, and reducing the load on the motor. Proper maintenance and regular checks can also help to manage the current and ensure the motor is operating at its optimal level.