Electric potential at an unknown point

In summary: Also, I'm not sure if I should be using the electric field or potential equation to solve for the potential at point XB.In summary, the electric potential at point XB=0m in a parallel plate capacitor is 0V. This is because the electric potential is directly proportional to the distance from the positive plate, and at point XB, the distance is 0m. Therefore, using the equation V=E*s, where s is the distance from the positive plate, we can see that the potential is 0V.
miyayeah

Homework Statement

The electric field inside a parallel plate capacitor is measured to be E= -3500 N/C i. The electric potential at point XA = 3.00 m is measured to be 1500V. What is the electric potential at point XB = 0 m?

Homework Equations

V=E⋅s

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to relate the given point to the actual point within the electric field, so I did:

s= V/E = (1500V) / (3500N/C) = 2.333 m
I am not how I should go with this problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
miyayeah said:
V=E⋅s
is good. So is s= V/E . But V is not -3500 N/C And E is not 1500 V.

Always check the dimensions of what you write down !

Perhaps you can make a sketch showing the positions, E and V ?

BvU said:
is good. So is s= V/E . But V is not -3500 N/C And E is not 1500 V.

Always check the dimensions of what you write down !

Perhaps you can make a sketch showing the positions, E and V ?
Thank you for pointing that out. I edited it now.

If I were to sketch, I would draw the electric potential increasing from the negative to the positive end, and the electric field vector going from the positive to the negative end.
I think I am mainly confused about where I should put the positions, because I'm not sure if X=0 mean the position is at the negative plate.

1. What is electric potential at an unknown point?

Electric potential at an unknown point refers to the amount of electric potential (or voltage) present at a specific location in space, where the exact value is not yet known or measured.

2. How is electric potential measured at an unknown point?

Electric potential at an unknown point can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential between two points. By measuring the potential difference between a known point and the unknown point, the electric potential at the unknown point can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the electric potential at an unknown point?

The electric potential at an unknown point is affected by several factors such as the distance from the source of electric charge, the amount of charge present, and the type of material the charge is moving through. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the surrounding area can also influence the electric potential at the unknown point.

4. How does the direction of electric field affect the electric potential at an unknown point?

The direction of the electric field at an unknown point plays a crucial role in determining the electric potential. If the electric field is pointing towards the unknown point, the potential will be negative, and if it is pointing away, the potential will be positive. This is because the electric field and electric potential are directly related, with the electric field being the gradient of the electric potential.

5. Can the electric potential at an unknown point be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at an unknown point can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is pointing towards the unknown point, as mentioned earlier. A negative electric potential indicates that work is required to move a positive charge from the unknown point to a reference point, such as infinity.