Electric Potential between two charges of equal magnitude

In summary: If you make a graph, you should find that the potential is positive (above the x-axis) but decreasing from the location of the first charge until the location of the second charge, where it then starts increasing, back toward infinity.That's all I can say without doing the actual work for you, which I'm not going to do.
wootman23

Homework Statement

Two charges of equal magnitude Q are held a distance d apart. Consider only points on the line passing through both charges.

If the two charges have the same sign, find the location of all points (if there are any) at which the potential (relative to infinity) is zero.

a) Midway between the charges
b) At the points, where the charges are
c) There are no such points

Homework Equations

V = k(Q/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is not a. But because of the "relative to infinity" statement, I'm not sure about b or c.

For b, the equation would look like: V = k(Q/0) + k(Q/d). I don't know what to do with the division by 0.

I'm inclined to go with c, but I would like some support please.

Physics news on Phys.org
wootman23 said:
For b, the equation would look like: V = k(Q/0) + k(Q/d). I don't know what to do with the division by 0.
Since the potential approaches infinity at the charge, one simple way to think about the division by 0 is that it is equivalent to infinity.

Even better is to make a graph of the potential, and then look at how the graph behaves in between the charges. You can either hand-sketch a graph, use a graphing calculator if you have one, or perhaps use Microsoft Excel, if your computer has it, to make the graph. You can use anything you want for Q and d, but I suggest trying Q=1 nC (that's 1×10-9 C) and d=1 meter for convenience.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential between two charges calculated?

The electric potential between two charges of equal magnitude can be calculated using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V).

4. Can the electric potential be negative?

Yes, the electric potential can be negative. A negative electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed towards the charge, while a positive electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed away from the charge.

5. How does the distance between two charges affect the electric potential?

The electric potential between two charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance between the two charges increases, the electric potential decreases. This means that the closer the charges are, the stronger the electric potential between them.