1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential Energy

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe the motion of a test charge in a non-uniform electric field.

By considering the electric forces acting and Newton’s second law, explain the type of motion occurring in a non-uniform electric field.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote that the direction of the field is the opposite to the direction a test charge would move in.

the second question i dont understand at all .... I think it would be circular motion? Fc?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It does not have to be. You can shoot electrons into a field with a velocity perpendicular to the field, for example.

The motion will depend on the field, so it is hard to describe the motion in general. You can make a statement about the acceleration of the test charge, however.

4. Jul 27, 2015 #3
    in a uniform e-field the acceleration would be constant but in a non-uniform field it would accelerate at an increasing rate? Is this correct?

5. Jul 27, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe at a decreasing rate ... maybe at a varying rate, up & down, changing direction, etc.

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

We don't know unless we get the geometry of the field and the initial position and velocity of the electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted