1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential in a region of space

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric potential in a region of space is
    [​IMG]
    , where x and y are in meters. What is the strength of the electric field at (x,y)=(2.1m,2.7m)?
    The electric force is in V/m.

2. Relevant equations
    E = -grad(V)
    E = -dV/ds

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that i have to find the partial derivatives of the x and the y but im not sure on how to get the answer from the equation given. I was thinking of making the square root into the exponential of 1/2 and then raising that to -1 to get ride of the fraction and then taking the derivatives of that but i keep getting the wrong answer. Anybody have suggestions of help they can give me please. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi quietriot1006! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, please use the LaTeX provided, rather than importing images of equations)

Just use the Chain Rule for differentiation …

you know how to differentiate 1/√x, don't you? :wink:

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the welcome. Im still not getting the answer. Maybe im doing the chain rule incorrectly. What would i use for u or g(x) and h(x)?

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(x2 + y2) :smile:

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    I keep getting the same asnwer, -127 V/M and its not the right answer. What else can i do?

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us your calculations, and then we can see where the mistake is. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?