Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential in a region of space

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric potential in a region of space is
    render?texml=V+%3D+%5Cfrac%7B350%7D%7B%5Csqrt+%7Bx%5E2+%2B+y%5E2+%7D%7D.gif
    , where x and y are in meters. What is the strength of the electric field at (x,y)=(2.1m,2.7m)?
    The electric force is in V/m.

2. Relevant equations
    E = -grad(V)
    E = -dV/ds

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that i have to find the partial derivatives of the x and the y but im not sure on how to get the answer from the equation given. I was thinking of making the square root into the exponential of 1/2 and then raising that to -1 to get ride of the fraction and then taking the derivatives of that but i keep getting the wrong answer. Anybody have suggestions of help they can give me please. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi quietriot1006! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, please use the LaTeX provided, rather than importing images of equations)

Just use the Chain Rule for differentiation …

you know how to differentiate 1/√x, don't you? :wink:

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the welcome. Im still not getting the answer. Maybe im doing the chain rule incorrectly. What would i use for u or g(x) and h(x)?

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(x2 + y2) :smile:

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    I keep getting the same asnwer, -127 V/M and its not the right answer. What else can i do?

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us your calculations, and then we can see where the mistake is. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook