• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electric Potential in a region of space

Homework Statement

The electric potential in a region of space is
render?texml=V+%3D+%5Cfrac%7B350%7D%7B%5Csqrt+%7Bx%5E2+%2B+y%5E2+%7D%7D.gif

, where x and y are in meters. What is the strength of the electric field at (x,y)=(2.1m,2.7m)?
The electric force is in V/m.

Homework Equations

E = -grad(V)
E = -dV/ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that i have to find the partial derivatives of the x and the y but im not sure on how to get the answer from the equation given. I was thinking of making the square root into the exponential of 1/2 and then raising that to -1 to get ride of the fraction and then taking the derivatives of that but i keep getting the wrong answer. Anybody have suggestions of help they can give me please. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF!

render?texml=V+%3D+%5Cfrac%7B350%7D%7B%5Csqrt+%7Bx%5E2+%2B+y%5E2+%7D%7D.gif

…I know that i have to find the partial derivatives of the x and the y but im not sure on how to get the answer from the equation given. I was thinking of making the square root into the exponential of 1/2 and then raising that to -1 to get ride of the fraction and then taking the derivatives of that but i keep getting the wrong answer. Anybody have suggestions of help they can give me please. Thanks.
Hi quietriot1006! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, please use the LaTeX provided, rather than importing images of equations)

Just use the Chain Rule for differentiation …

you know how to differentiate 1/√x, don't you? :wink:

Thanks for the welcome. Im still not getting the answer. Maybe im doing the chain rule incorrectly. What would i use for u or g(x) and h(x)?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thanks for the welcome. Im still not getting the answer. Maybe im doing the chain rule incorrectly. What would i use for u or g(x) and h(x)?
(x2 + y2) :smile:

I keep getting the same asnwer, -127 V/M and its not the right answer. What else can i do?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I keep getting the same asnwer, -127 V/M and its not the right answer. What else can i do?
Show us your calculations, and then we can see where the mistake is. :smile: