Electric Potential problem escape veloctiy.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity of a proton using the equation Vi = sqrt(2/m * ((K*1.5nC*e/.005m) + (K*1.5nC*e/.005m))). The person is having trouble with their solution, but found success by changing the equation and using the concept of kinetic energy and electric potential energy. They provide a helpful resource for understanding electric potential energy.
PhysicsGnome

Homework Statement

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~gagin/2200/textfiles/ph2200-ex2-f05.pdf

Homework Equations

My attempt at the equation:
Vi = sqrt(2/m * ((K*1.5nC*e/.005m) + (K*1.5nC*e/.005m)))

The Attempt at a Solution

My equation gives me a value that is too large. Any help appreciated.

I noticed if I change the 2/m to 1/m and divide my final answer by 2 it is a value around the size of the answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy must equal the electric potential energy (EPE) of the proton at the current position, which seems to be the approach one has taken.

Then one can determine the v from KE.

Getting the EPE correct is the key. The proton is equidistant between two equal charges.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elepe.html

It looks like you are on the right track with your attempt at the equation. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified. Firstly, the equation should be written as V = sqrt(2qE/m), where V is the escape velocity, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric potential, and m is the mass of the particle. Secondly, it seems like you have substituted the values for the charge and electric potential correctly, but the mass should be given in kilograms, not grams. Additionally, it is important to use the correct units for each quantity in the equation.

If you are still getting a value that is too large, it could be due to rounding errors or using approximate values for the constants. I would suggest using the exact values for the constants and carrying out the calculations with more significant figures to get a more accurate result. Additionally, it may be helpful to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the equation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its location in an electric field.

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done by an electric force on a unit charge by that unit charge. It is represented by the symbol V and its unit is volts (V).

What is an electric potential problem?

An electric potential problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the electric potential at a certain point in an electric field, given the distance and magnitude of the charges in the field.

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum velocity required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or a star.

How is escape velocity related to electric potential?

In the context of an electric potential problem, escape velocity refers to the minimum velocity required for a charged particle to escape the electric field surrounding a charged object. It is calculated using the equation V = √(2qV/m), where V is the electric potential, q is the charge of the particle, and m is its mass.