Need help with Electric Potential problem.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with using an equation to find the velocity of a proton in a certain scenario. The equation involves the use of electrical potential energy, but the resulting value is too large. The solution involves considering the proton's energy between the charges and at a large distance.
PhysicsGnome
I was going over that mit open courseware stuff and I ran into a problem I'm having trouble with...

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~gagin/2200/textfiles/ph2200-ex2-f05.pdf

The equation I have for it is:

vi = sqrt(2/m * ((K*1.5nC*e/.005m) + (K*1.5nC*e/.005m)))

But I'm getting to large a value... I've been playing around with it but can't seem to get it.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First consider the proton between the charge and its total energy (it will be all potential). Then consider the particle very far away, such that it has zero potential energy, and all kinetic energy.
The formula for electrical potential energy is

-k(Q1)(Q2)/r

between any two point charges of charge Q1 and Q2, r the distance between them. We can evaluate the potential between the proton and one charge and multiply by two because the situation is symmetrical.

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble with an electric potential problem and the equation you have is giving you a larger value than expected. It would be helpful if you could provide more context and information about the specific problem you are working on, such as the given values, units, and what you are trying to solve for. Without this information, it is difficult for me to provide specific guidance.

However, I can offer some general tips for solving electric potential problems. First, make sure you are using the correct formula for the specific situation you are working on. There are different equations for calculating electric potential depending on the given parameters and what you are solving for. Next, double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the equation. Also, pay attention to the signs of the values you are using, as positive and negative charges have different effects on electric potential.

If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a classmate, professor, or tutor who can provide more personalized assistance. They may also be able to walk you through the problem step by step and point out any mistakes or misunderstandings. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of potential energy per unit charge that is present at a certain point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude, while electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Electric potential is also dependent on the position in the electric field, while electric field is a property of the electric field itself.

3. How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. The electric potential at a point is equal to the change in electric potential energy per unit charge as a test charge is moved from infinity to that point.

4. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. How can I calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric potential is being measured.