1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential/Work Question

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Work is required to push a solitary electron into an electric field where it attains an electric potential of 1 volt.

a.) If you instead push 2 electrons through the same path, what would the electric potential of the two electrons be? b.) What would the work required to move the electrons be?

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure, but I think W = qV may be an equation.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am guessing that is it's 2 volts for a.) and 2 electronvolts for b.), but I could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated... this is very confusing to me. =( Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

If you are pushing something in the field, then 1e or 2e, they will experience then the same ΔV if the statement of the problem is that they are being taken over the same path. 1v then would be the potential at the point that 1 or 2 electrons would be brought.

As you noted though the ΔV*q is the work, so yes you would have imparted 2 ev to the charges (taken together).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook