Calculate W for Point Charge Configuration

In summary, the amount of work required to assemble this charge configuration if the point charges were initially infinitely far apart is proportional to {2kq^2}/{L}. The total potential energy for all four particles can be determined by adding up the potential energy contribution of each pair of charges, which equals 2kq^2/L. The work done for each charge is given by the formula W=-delta*U and the work done for all charges is given by W=-2kq^2/L. The potential energy between two charges separated by a distance r is kq_1q_2/r, and the potential energy is zero at infinity. To find the total potential energy, add up the potential energy contribution of each pair
StephenDoty
If you calculate W, the amount of work it took to assemble this charge configuration if the point charges were initially infinitely far apart, you will find that the contribution for each charge is proportional to {kq^2}/{L}. In the space provided, enter the numeric value that multiplies the above factor, in W. (See Picture Below)

delta U= -W
delta U= q*delta V

I tried using this idea but my answers are wrong. Like for charge A I got delta V= kq/sqrt(2)*L
or delta U= kq^2/sqrt(2)*L thus W = -kq^2/sqrt(2)*L

But the work for charge A equals 0. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Stephen

Attachments

• du.jpg
    du.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
StephenDoty said:
I tried using this idea but my answers are wrong. Like for charge A I got delta V= kq/sqrt(2)*L
or delta U= kq^2/sqrt(2)*L thus W = -kq^2/sqrt(2)*L
This only considers the charge pairs that include A. (Why the negative sign?)

To find the total work done you must consider every pair of charges: A-B, A-C, A-D, B-C, and so on.

W=-delta*U

So what formula do I need to use?

the total potential energy=2kq^2/L

so would the work=-2kq^2/L?

StephenDoty said:
the total potential energy=2kq^2/L

so would the work=-2kq^2/L?
How did you determine this value for PE?

As I'm sure you know, the potential energy between two charges separated by a distance r = [itex]kq_1q_2/r[/itex]. Not that the PE is zero at infinity, thus the work done to move these two particles from infinity to a distance r is just [itex]kq_1q_2/r[/itex] (no need for a negative sign).

To find the total potential energy for all four particles, add up the potential energy contribution of each pair of charges. List each distinct pair (there are six) and its potential energy.

http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys260/agashe/S09/solutions/HW11.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is W in point charge configuration?

W in point charge configuration refers to the work done in moving a point charge from one location to another in an electric field. It is a measure of the potential energy associated with the placement of the charge in the electric field.

2. How is W calculated in point charge configuration?

W can be calculated by multiplying the charge of the point charge with the potential difference between the initial and final positions. It is given by the equation W = qΔV, where q is the charge and ΔV is the potential difference.

3. Is W positive or negative in point charge configuration?

W can be either positive or negative in point charge configuration, depending on the direction of the movement of the point charge. If the charge is moving towards a region of higher potential, W will be negative, while if it is moving towards a region of lower potential, W will be positive.

4. What is the unit of W in point charge configuration?

W in point charge configuration has the unit of joules (J), which is the unit of energy. This is because W represents the work done, which is a measure of energy.

5. How does the distance between point charges affect W in point charge configuration?

The distance between point charges has a direct effect on W in point charge configuration. As the distance increases, the potential difference between the charges decreases, resulting in a smaller value of W. This means that the work done in moving the charges further apart is less than the work done in moving them closer together.