Electrical Forces, Torque & Flux

In summary, a long, thin rod with a midpoint at the origin has a +6.0 C point charge fixed to one end and a -6.0 C point charge fixed to the other end. It is subjected to a perpendicular external electric field with a magnitude of 5.0 x 103 N/C in the x, y plane. The magnitude of the net torque applied to the rod with respect to the z axis is 0.12 N/m. For the second problem, a charge Q is located inside a rectangular box with electric flux values of +4400 Nm2/C, +3530 Nm2/C, +1310 Nm2/C, -4520 Nm2/C, -5930
kgigs6

Homework Statement

A long, thin rod (length = 4.0 m) lies along the x axis, with its midpoint at the origin. In a vacuum, a +6.0 C point charge is fixed to one end of the rod, and a -6.0 C point charge is fixed to the other end. Everywhere in the x, y plane there is a constant external electric field (magnitude 5.0 x 103 N/C) that is perpendicular to the rod. With respect to the z axis, find the magnitude of the net torque applied to the rod.

Homework Equations

F=Eq
Torque = Fl

The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = (5E3N/C)(+6.0E-6C)
F1= 0.03N

F2= (5E3N/C)(-6.0E-6C)
F2= -0.03N

T1= (0.03N)(4.0m)
T1= 0.12 N/m

T2= (-0.03N)(4.0m)
T2= -0.12N/m

I'm not sure where to go from here in order to find the net torque, I don't think it is as simple as they cancel out but I can't figure out what to do next.

Homework Statement

A charge Q is located inside a rectangular box. The electric flux through each of the six surfaces of the box is: 1 = +4400 Nm2/C, 2 = +3530 Nm2/C, 3 = +1310 Nm2/C, 4 = -4520 Nm2/C, 5 = -5930 Nm2/C, and 6 = -4580 Nm2/C. What is Q?

Homework Equations

I'm not even sure where to start with this one, maybe one of these two equations:
Flux = Summation(Ecosphi)A
Flux = Q/Permittivity of free space

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have 2 equal and opposite forces then I think the Torque on the object can be taken about one of the points of the application of the forces, and the torque would be the moment of the other force about that point. If your force is correct, (I didn't do the math), then either of your answers is correct, except that they should both end with the same direction, clockwise or counterclockwise and not different as you apparently show.

I'm not sure where to start with this problem either. However, I think the first equation you listed may be more relevant in this case. Since the electric flux through each surface is given, we can use the formula Flux = EAcos(theta) where E is the magnitude of the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and theta is the angle between the electric field and the surface normal. We can then solve for Q by rearranging the equation to Q = Flux x Permittivity of free space. We would need to calculate the electric field for each surface using the given flux values and then use the fact that the electric field is constant inside the box to find the electric field at the location of the charge Q. From there, we can plug in the known values and solve for Q.

1. How are electrical forces measured?

Electrical forces are measured using a unit called Coulomb (C). The magnitude of the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law.

2. What is torque in the context of electrical forces?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that causes an object to rotate. In the context of electrical forces, torque is the force that causes an object with an electric charge to rotate in an electric field. It is proportional to the magnitude of the charge, the strength of the electric field, and the distance from the charge to the center of rotation.

3. What is flux in relation to electrical forces?

Flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given area. It is calculated by multiplying the strength of the electric field by the area it passes through at a specific angle. Flux can also be described as the number of electric field lines passing through a surface.

4. How do electrical forces affect charged particles?

Electrical forces affect charged particles by exerting a force on them, causing them to move in a particular direction. This force can either attract or repel the particles, depending on their charges. The strength of the force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. What is the difference between electrical potential and electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. On the other hand, electrical potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses by virtue of its position in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.