Solving the Nernst Equation for Zn^2+ Concentration

In summary, a cell was built with one side containing a solution of 0.10 M CuSO4 and Cu(s), and the other side containing 1 M NH3, 0.05 M ZnSO4, and Zn(s). The measured cell potential was 1.31, and the Nernst equation was used to find the concentration of Zn^2+. The value of Q was calculated to be 7.61E-8, and it represents the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the reactants in the reaction occurring on both sides of the cell.
morgan8222
I built a cell with one side containing the solution 0.10 M CuSO4 with Cu(s) in it. The other side has 1 M NH3 and 0.05 M ZnSO4 with Zn(s) in it. The measured cell potential was 1.31.

I am using the Nernst equation. I need to find the concentration of Zn^2+.

E=E"-(0.059/2)logQ

1.31 = 1.10 -(0.059/2) log Q

Q = 7.61E-8

I am confused about what Q is. I know its definition, but I am not sure about the reaction and which concentrations to use.
Could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
On both sides you have metal electrode submerged in the solution of its own ions. In both cases reaction is identical (although metal is different).

1. What is the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the potential of an electrochemical cell at a specific point in time. It takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products involved in the cell reaction, as well as the temperature and the gas constant.

2. How is the Nernst equation used to determine Zn^2+ concentration?

The Nernst equation can be rearranged to solve for the concentration of a specific ion, such as Zn^2+. By plugging in the known values for the other variables (such as the potential, temperature, and gas constant), the concentration of Zn^2+ can be calculated.

3. What is the importance of solving the Nernst equation for Zn^2+ concentration?

Zn^2+ is an important ion in many biological and industrial processes. By accurately determining its concentration, scientists can better understand and control these processes. The Nernst equation provides a precise and reliable method for calculating Zn^2+ concentration.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the Nernst equation for Zn^2+ concentration?

The Nernst equation assumes ideal conditions, so any deviations from these conditions can affect its accuracy. Factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or pH can all impact the accuracy of the equation. Additionally, errors in measuring potential or concentrations can also affect the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Nernst equation for Zn^2+ concentration?

The Nernst equation is based on several assumptions, such as ideal conditions and a constant temperature. In reality, these conditions may not always be met, which can affect the accuracy of the equation. Additionally, the Nernst equation is only applicable to certain types of electrochemical cells, so it may not be suitable for all situations.