What is the electron charge of He-3 and He-4?

In summary, The isotopes He-3 and He-4 are both neutral atoms with no net charge. They have the same number of protons and electrons, resulting in the same electron charge. The number -2.1x10^-21 cannot be the electron charge as it is less than the fundamental charge of an electron.
Hi,
Sorry this is a Newbie question.
What is the electron charge of He-3 and He-4?

I am new to physics so Sorry.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
He-3 and He-4 are isotopes of Helium. All isotopes of Helium have the same number of protons and thus electrons.

Ok, they are Isotopes of helium.
But do they have different charges or is the charge the same as helium?
and

What is the charge is it -2.1x10^-21

2203312 said:
and

These isotopes are neutral atoms! They have no net charge!

Zz.

2203312 said:
As I said, all helium isotopes have the same number of protons & electrons, thus the same electron charge. (The most abundant helium isotope is He-4; that's what is usually meant when you just say 'helium'.)
Where does this number come from?

Edit: I assume by 'electron charge' that you mean the total charge of the electrons in the helium atom. But realize, as ZapperZ points out, that the net charge of the helium atom is zero--the number of protons equals the number of electrons.

Last edited:
Ok,
Thanks anyway.

Since I don't know what I am talking about I give up.

Is the number [itex]-2.1\times10^{-21}[/itex] supposed to be in Coulombs? Because that's about 1/100th the charge on an electron. Since the electronic charge, [itex]1.6\times10^{-19}C[/itex] is the fundamental charge, you can't have a number less than that.

(Yes I know, quarks come in 1/3 and 2/3 charges, but they're always found in pairs or triplets because of QCD restrictions.)

1. What is the unit of electron charge?

The unit of electron charge is called the elementary charge, denoted by the symbol e. Its value is approximately equal to 1.602 x 10-19 coulombs.

2. How does electron charge differ from proton charge?

Electron charge is negative, while proton charge is positive. The magnitude of their charges is equal, but they have opposite signs.

3. Can the charge of an electron be changed?

No, the charge of an electron is a fundamental physical property and cannot be changed. It is a constant value for all electrons.

4. What is the charge of a neutral atom?

A neutral atom has the same number of protons and electrons, so its overall charge is neutral or zero.

5. How does the charge of an electron affect its behavior?

The charge of an electron determines its interactions with other charged particles and electromagnetic fields. Electrons with the same charge repel each other, while electrons with opposite charges attract each other.