Electron concentration with temperature change

In summary: So I simplified it again and got T=300*K+(-1.12/KT)3=12997. I also forgot to take the logarithm of T3, so I will do that when I go back to the equation. In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the temperature T from the information given. The equation was derived from ni2=NcNv(T/300)3exp(-Eg/KT). The student tried to simplify the equation by shifting (T/300)^3 over to the left side and then taking ln on both sides, but was still unable to solve the equation. The student found it easier to just plug in no.
snoothie

Homework Statement

trying to work out the answer for the temperature T from the equation...

(1012)2=(2.8*1019)(1.04*1019)(T/300)3exp(-1.12/KT)

Homework Equations

the equation was derived from ni2=NcNv(T/300)3exp(-Eg/KT)

The Attempt at a Solution

Only simplified the equation to [tex]\frac{10^{24}}{2.912*10^{38}}[/tex]=[tex]\left(\frac{T}{300}\right)[/tex]3 . exp[tex]\left(\frac{-1.12}{KT}\right)[/tex]

can someone advice how to simplify this equation to solve for T?

Tried shifting (T/300)^3 over to the left side and then taking ln on both sides but could not solve the equation as I still ended up having trouble with grouping the T terms due to ln ...
Attached attempted solution.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    157.6 KB · Views: 166
Physics news on Phys.org
You can not express T with a closed formula in this case, but you can find its approximate value by trial and error, or with a graphical method.
I can not open your pdf file, so I do not see what you have done. I wonder if you used appropriate value for the Boltzman constant, K. Eg is given certainly in electron volts, so you should use the value K=8.6173*10-5eV/K.
It might be a good method to take the logarithm of both sides, and arrange the equation so that T is on the left side and ln(T) and everythig else on the other. Than you start with T=300 K, insert it into the formula on the right side of the equation, and calculate the new T. Now repeat the procedure with this value. Try!

ehild

Yup got it. Thanks.

Seems like there isn't any easier ways. no?

Did take log on both sides to try making the equation easier to work with, but since trial and error is the way to solve this problem. I found it easier to just plug in no.s into [tex]\frac{10^{24}}{2.912*10^{38}}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{T}{300}\right)^3[/tex] . exp[tex]\left(\frac{-1.12}{KT}\right)[/tex] and just work on T from here...

Last edited:
Well, yes, you can try and try... But what about the iteration method I suggested?

If you simplify the numerical terms, take the logarithm, express T, you get something like the following:

[tex]
T=\frac{12997 }{16.194+3\ln{T}}
[/tex]

Starting with T=300, the next values are 390, 382, 382. Try, it is really fun :)

ehild

I could see your pdf file at last. Have you got problems with ln(T3)? You certainly remember that ln(a*b)=ln(a)+ln(b). T3 is just T*T*T, so what about replacing ln(T3) with 3*ln(T)? :smile:

ehild

oh silly me... I was only thinking about addition and subtraction and did not think about shifting T over to the left side and shifting all the terms from left side to the right side of the equation as the denominator of -12997. I kept thinking goodness how to work this with ln|9.27*10^-8|-3ln|T|... and got myself stuck with ln|9.27*10^-8|-3ln|T|=(-1.12/KT)...:frown:

1. How does temperature affect electron concentration?

Temperature can affect electron concentration in a few different ways. One of the main ways is through thermal excitation, where increased temperature causes electrons to gain more energy and therefore become more mobile, leading to an increase in electron concentration. On the other hand, some materials may experience a decrease in electron concentration with increasing temperature, as higher temperatures may cause certain electron states to become occupied by other particles.

2. What is the relationship between electron concentration and temperature?

The relationship between electron concentration and temperature is complex and depends on various factors such as the material, its structure, and the presence of impurities. In general, however, increasing temperature tends to lead to an increase in electron concentration due to thermal excitation, as mentioned before.

3. How is electron concentration measured with changes in temperature?

Electron concentration can be measured using various techniques, such as Hall effect measurements, conductivity measurements, or spectroscopy techniques. These methods involve applying a magnetic field or an electric field to the material and measuring the resulting changes in the material's properties, which can then be used to determine the electron concentration. These measurements can be repeated at different temperatures to observe changes in electron concentration with temperature.

4. Can electron concentration be controlled by manipulating temperature?

Yes, electron concentration can be controlled to some extent by manipulating temperature. For example, in semiconductors, increasing the temperature can lead to an increase in electron concentration, which can be useful for certain applications. Additionally, in some materials, changes in temperature can lead to changes in electron states, which can affect the overall electron concentration in the material.

5. How does thermal equilibrium affect electron concentration?

Thermal equilibrium is an important concept in understanding the relationship between temperature and electron concentration. In thermal equilibrium, the rate of thermal excitation is equal to the rate of electron recombination, resulting in a constant electron concentration. This equilibrium state depends on the material and can be affected by changes in temperature, leading to changes in electron concentration.