1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron density

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi!

I need to solve a continuity equation for electron density as a function of time in the E-region of Earth's atmosphere. I shall neglect vertical transport and that the ion production rate completely shuts off dusk.

2. Relevant equations
    See below

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my attempt:

(1+λ)dNe/dt=p(t)-(1+λ)(αd-aλi)Ne2-Ne dλ/dt
    Ne is the electron density, dy, λ=ratio of negative ions to electrons , p(t) is the electron production rate, αd is the recombination coeff. for ions and ai is the recombination coeff. negative ions with positive ions.

The effective recombination coefficient is: αeff=(1+λ)(αd+aλi).
    If we assume that the is no negative ions, we get:
    dNe/dt=p(t)-adNe2 (1)
    and aeff simply becomes ad

Here comes the issue, I need to have a solution for equation (1) with respect to the density and time. . How should I integrate this? The density from the beginning is ≈ 1*109 m3 , which I calculated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

There is a typo in equation ##(1)##. If I understand correctly you meant to write ##\alpha_d## not ##a_d##.

Equation ##(1)## has the form of a Riccati equation:

$$\frac{dN_e(t)}{dt} = p(t) - \alpha_d N_e^2(t)$$
    $$y'(t) = p(t) + g(t)y(t) + f(t)y^2(t)$$

Where ##N_e(t) = y(t)##, ##p(t) = p(t)##, ##g(t) = 0##, and ##f(t) = \alpha_d##.

To learn how to deal with equations of this form, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccati_equation#Reduction_to_a_second_order_linear_equation

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted