1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron movement in a stationary magnetic field

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    howdy : i'm new to this site and i have not used a forum before so this is probably going to be stupid . if so ---sorry . anyway if i have a metal magnet (ie neodymium) connected to the positive of a high voltage source and a metal pin connected to the negative of the high voltage source with it being arranged so that a spark will jump from the pin to the magnet ------ which end of the magnet should it jump toward . in otherwords is the electron that is jumping the spark gap more attrected toward the north or south pole of the magnet .
    all i see in most explanations is that an electron can be manipulated by a magnetic field BUT it never says which polarity of the magnet "pushes" and which "pulls" . i am trying to build a simple magnetically quenched spark gap for a tesla type coil apparatus . thanks for putting up with us simple folks mike

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    diagrams of magnetic field lines here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

The force on a particle is given by F = qv x B where F,v, and B are vectors.....

By convention, the magnetic field exits the magnetic from the north and re-enters at the south pole..
    A postive particle therefore moves according to the right hand rule.....and

an electron would be a -q, so it would move opposite....in either case a charged particle
    moves othogonally to the magnetic field lines...not in alignment with them....not a good vechicle for a 'switch'...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. Jan 4, 2012 #3
    The electrons are not attracted to one end of the magnet. The beam will bend perpendicular to the magnetic field of the magnet.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    #3 is to the point... I forgot to add that to my post....but realigning the magnet will cause
    different conditions as I detailed....

6. Jan 5, 2012 #5
    thanks for your reply . in the past i have had the above described situation , and the spark (from negative terminal) would jump to the magnet . the mag was 2 x 2 x 1 thick (magnetized thru thickness) . the spark would jump , on a curve, way over to the face of the magnet , but i at the time , wasn't smart enough to write it down somewhere which pole the spark prefered . the switch i was mentioning earlier is a magnetically quenched spark gap , which was invented/patented by nicoli tesla in the early 1900s . the idea is that there is a spark gap with a huge mag field perpendicular to it . when a spark is started across the gap it "rides" ionized air which is extinguished by the mag field as it pulls the spark apart toward opposite mag poles . ----as i understand it --- thanks mike

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook