Electron Movement (Integrating Over Nonuniform Electric Field)

In summary, to determine the vertical distance between two electrons moving horizontally, we can use Coulomb's Law to calculate the force between them, Newton's Second Law to calculate the acceleration, and the kinematic equation to calculate the vertical distance traveled in a given time interval. Assuming no other external forces and ignoring relativistic effects, the two electrons will be approximately 4.5 nm apart vertically after 0.00001 seconds.
collegecolleg

Homework Statement

Two electrons with 20eV are 20 nm a part are move horizontally. Ignore relativistic effects and assume no other external forces.

How far apart are they vertically after .00001 seconds?

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law (the force between the two electrons) F=Kq1q1/r^2
F=ma (to calculate the acceleration where m is the mass of the electron)
delta x = 1/2at^2 (no initial vertical velocity, can calculate the change in distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can calculate the force between them using coulombs law, the acceleration by using F=ma, and then given a time, the change in x using the kinematic equation. I am pretending that one of the electrons is fixed so that I can just calculate how far one moves (which I am not sure if that is correct way to do it or not).

The problem is that as the electron moves away the force decreases (proportionally to r^2). So I can divide the time up into a bunch of time slices and recalculate the distance it moves with olddistance += 1/2 * kq1q2/(m*olddistance^2)*timestep^2, but this doesn't really get me a close form, and I am afraid that floating point precision is going to mess with my results.

Thus is there some way for me to integrate it and get a closed form. I think maybe I can setup the electric field and kind of do a line integral or something...

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question. I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables involved. As you have correctly stated, Coulomb's Law and Newton's Second Law are the main equations to consider in this scenario. The variables involved are the charge of the electrons (q), their mass (m), the distance between them (r), and the time interval (t).

To simplify the problem, I would also assume that one of the electrons is fixed, as you have suggested, so that we can focus on the motion of the other electron. This means that the force acting on the moving electron is solely due to the fixed electron.

To calculate the force between the two electrons, we can use Coulomb's Law: F = kq1q2/r^2. Since both electrons have the same charge (q1 = q2), we can simplify this to F = kq^2/r^2. Given the charge of an electron (q = 1.6 x 10^-19 C) and the distance between them (r = 20 nm = 2 x 10^-8 m), we can calculate the force between them to be approximately 1.44 x 10^-27 N.

Next, we can use Newton's Second Law (F = ma) to calculate the acceleration of the electron. Since we are assuming no other external forces, the force we calculated above is equal to the force acting on the electron, and therefore, we can set F = ma. Rearranging this equation, we get a = F/m. Plugging in the values we have, we get an acceleration of approximately 9 x 10^17 m/s^2.

Now, to calculate the vertical distance the electron will move in the given time interval (t = 0.00001 s), we can use the kinematic equation delta x = 1/2at^2. Since we are only interested in the vertical distance, we can ignore the horizontal motion and focus on the vertical acceleration (a = 9 x 10^17 m/s^2). Plugging in the values, we get a vertical distance of approximately 4.5 x 10^-9 m.

Therefore, after 0.00001 seconds, the two electrons will be approximately 4.5 nm apart vertically. I hope this helps you with your problem. If you have any further questions or concerns

FAQ: Electron Movement (Integrating Over Nonuniform Electric Field)

1. What is electron movement?

Electron movement refers to the motion of electrons in an electric field. This can occur in a variety of settings, such as in electronic devices, during chemical reactions, or in natural phenomena like lightning.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles, such as electrons, experience a force. This force can either attract or repel the charged particles, depending on their charges.

3. How does an electric field affect electron movement?

An electric field exerts a force on electrons, causing them to move in a certain direction. The strength and direction of the electric field determine the magnitude and direction of the force on the electrons, which in turn affects their movement.

4. What is meant by "integrating over nonuniform electric field"?

Integrating over nonuniform electric field means finding the total effect of the electric field on the movement of electrons, taking into account any variations in the strength or direction of the electric field in different regions.

5. Why is integrating over nonuniform electric field important?

This is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrons in complex electric fields, such as those found in electronic devices or during chemical reactions. It allows us to accurately calculate the movement of electrons and the resulting effects on the system.

Back