Electron/proton released from charged parallel plates

In summary, you can use the equation a = qE/m to solve for the acceleration of the electron and proton.
PolarBee

Homework Statement

Two parallel plates 1.40 cm apart are equally and oppositely charged. An electron is released from rest at the surface of the negative plate and simultaneously a proton is released from rest at the surface of the positive plate. How far from the negative plate is the point at which the electron and proton pass each other?

Known:
Qe = -1.6 x 10-19 C
Qp = 1.6 x 10-19 C
me = 9.11 x 10-31 kg
mp = 1.6 x 10-27 kg

Homework Equations

a = qE/m
d = 1/2*a*t2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Acceleration of electron
ae = qeE / me

Acceleration of proton
ap = qpE / mp

Distance of electron
de = aet2 / 2

Distance of proton
dp = apt2 / 2

Since I don't know time, I tried to eliminate it by
t2 = 2de/ae
and plugging it into distance formula but from there, I'm stuck on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

You are given the distance D between the plates. Can you make use of this information?

I'm not really sure how distance D relates to the problem, but my guess would be if electron is traveling from distance 0 to 1.4 cm and the electron is traveling from 1.4 cm to 0, if looking at it on an x-axis... then the distance the electron travels is S, while the distance the proton travel is 1.4 cm - S.

Rewriting the equations would be...

S = 1/2 * ae * t2

and

0.014 - S = 1/2 ap * t2

How would I get the acceleration without knowing the electric field E?

PolarBee said:
I'm not really sure how distance D relates to the problem, but my guess would be if electron is traveling from distance 0 to 1.4 cm and the electron is traveling from 1.4 cm to 0, if looking at it on an x-axis... then the distance the electron travels is S, while the distance the proton travel is 1.4 cm - S.

Rewriting the equations would be...

S = 1/2 * ae * t2

and

0.014 - S = 1/2 ap * t2
Good.

How would I get the acceleration without knowing the electric field E?
Maybe you won't need actual values for the accelerations. Just keep working with symbols. What can you learn about the time from your equations above? For now, use D for the distance between the plates rather than use the number .014 m.

Ah I see.
I know that t would be the same for both because that's when they meet with each other.

Would I solve for t and make them equal to each and solve for S?

t2 = 2S / ae and t2 = 2(D-S) / ap

And solving for S would be...

S = D * ae / ap + ae

Unless my my algebra is wrong.

PolarBee said:
S = D * ae / ap + ae
Did you mean S = D * ae / (ap + ae) so that both ap and ae are in the denominator?

Can you write your result in terms of the ratio of ae to ap?

Yes they are both in the denominator.

Using the formula a = qE/m , I know that E should be the same for both the proton and electron, so I can set them equal.
I'm not sure if this is what you were asking but I did
(ae * me ) / qe = (ap * mp ) / qp

Then solving for ae I got
ae = ap * 1756.31

PolarBee said:
Yes they are both in the denominator.

Using the formula a = qE/m , I know that E should be the same for both the proton and electron, so I can set them equal.
I'm not sure if this is what you were asking but I did
(ae * me ) / qe = (ap * mp ) / qp

Then solving for ae I got
ae = ap * 1756.31
OK. What do you get when you use this information in your result for S?

Ah! I see.

I plugging in everything I know, the accelerations got canceled resulting in S = 0.01399 m. This makes sense because electrons move faster than protons.

Looks good.

1. What is the purpose of charged parallel plates in an experiment involving electron/proton release?

The purpose of charged parallel plates is to create an electric field that can accelerate charged particles, such as electrons and protons, in a specific direction. This is useful for studying the behavior of these particles and for various applications such as particle accelerators.

2. How does the spacing between the charged parallel plates affect the release of electrons and protons?

The spacing between the charged parallel plates can affect the strength of the electric field and therefore, the acceleration of electrons and protons. A smaller distance between the plates will result in a stronger electric field and a faster acceleration of particles.

3. Can electrons and protons be released simultaneously from charged parallel plates?

Yes, electrons and protons can be released simultaneously from charged parallel plates. However, their behavior may differ due to their different charges and masses. Electrons, being negatively charged, will be repelled by the negative plate and attracted to the positive plate, while protons, being positively charged, will experience the opposite.

4. How can the speed of electrons and protons be measured after being released from charged parallel plates?

The speed of electrons and protons can be measured using a variety of techniques such as a velocity selector, a time-of-flight measurement, or by analyzing their trajectories in a magnetic field. These methods allow for accurate measurements of the speed of charged particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of experiments involving electron/proton release from charged parallel plates?

Experiments involving electron/proton release from charged parallel plates have a wide range of real-world applications. These include particle accelerators used in research and medicine, CRT televisions and computer monitors, and electron microscopes used in imaging and analysis of small particles and materials.