Building an Electron Pump - NPL Physics Academy

In summary, the speaker is going to the National Physics Laboratory for a physics academy where they will be designing and building a prototype electron pump. They have been unable to find any relevant material on electron pumps and are asking if anyone has any information or resources related to building one or the mathematics behind it. They apologize for the short notice and have already tried a Google search but only found one relevant link. They are open to any additional insights or information that others may have.
Mukilab
Hi,

In the next week I am going to NPL for physics academy and I will be designing and building a prototype electron pump.

I've tried to look for articles or books related to electron pumps or how to build them but I simply can't find anything at all.

Does anyone have any material at all relating to electron pumps, how to build them or some of the mathematics behind them? If you do, please could you post it here? It would be greatly appreciated thank you.

I apologise for the short notice, I just don't know what else I can do to prepare for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mukilab said:
Hi,

In the next week I am going to NPL for physics academy and I will be designing and building a prototype electron pump.

I've tried to look for articles or books related to electron pumps or how to build them but I simply can't find anything at all.

Does anyone have any material at all relating to electron pumps, how to build them or some of the mathematics behind them? If you do, please could you post it here? It would be greatly appreciated thank you.

I apologise for the short notice, I just don't know what else I can do to prepare for it.

Does your question pertain to electrochemistry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_transport_chain

Or to cathode rays? Or to some other context for "electron/proton pump"?

Mukilab, Is this where you are going?
It is always useful to give as much information as possible when asking such questions.

National Physical Laboratory, United Kingdom
http://www.npl.co.uk/
Event on 29 June 2012:
https://connect.innovateuk.org/web/polymers-for-energy-harvesting

I did a Google search using the terms "electron pump" and got lots of ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replies. Yes the academy is at the National Physics Laboratory.

Since this is a physics academy I would guess that an electron pump would pertain more to physics than electrophysics, however this is just a guess. The email I received this mention that it:
" you will then use a chemical process to etch the individual part of your pump before assembling the device and testing it in our laboratory"

but otherwise it really has no specific information on the electron pump. I am sorry to be vague but I am not sure what else I could add in the first email.

@Berkeman I honestly do not know what it pertains to.

@Bobbywhy I am sorry for wasting your time. A google search was the first thing I tried to do when I received the invitation (several months ago) however at the time this was the only relevant link available (including google scholar):
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/16/scientists-use-single-electron-pump-to-take-subatomic-particles/

Google must have re-prioritised links for that search.

Once again, I am sorry for wasting your time, I honestly did try google but I think I'll manage just reading the articles from it. If you have any insightful links or information that you can add, then please do so.

Dear participant of the NPL Physics Academy,

It's great to hear that you will be designing and building a prototype electron pump during your time at the academy. Electron pumps are a fascinating area of research and have numerous applications in various fields including quantum computing and nanotechnology.

I understand your frustration in not being able to find much information on electron pumps. This is because they are still a relatively new and developing technology. However, there are some resources that may be helpful to you in your project. I would recommend checking out research papers published by scientists and engineers in this field, as well as attending lectures or workshops on electron pumps if possible. Additionally, you can consult with experts at NPL for guidance and support in your project.

As for the mathematics behind electron pumps, it involves principles from quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and solid state physics. It may be helpful to brush up on these subjects before starting your project.

I wish you all the best in your project and hope that you have a successful and enjoyable experience at the NPL Physics Academy. Keep exploring and pushing the boundaries of science!

1. What is an electron pump?

An electron pump is a device used in nanotechnology that can control the flow of individual electrons. It is composed of a series of quantum dots, which are small structures that can trap and release electrons one at a time.

2. How does an electron pump work?

An electron pump works by using a series of gate electrodes to manipulate the energy levels of the quantum dots. This allows the pump to selectively trap and release electrons, which creates a flow of current. The pump can be controlled by varying the voltages applied to the gate electrodes.

3. What are the applications of an electron pump?

An electron pump has a wide range of potential applications in the field of nanotechnology. It can be used in quantum computing, as a precise current source in electronic circuits, and in creating single-electron transistors. It also has potential uses in metrology and precision measurements.

4. What is the NPL Physics Academy?

The NPL Physics Academy is an educational program run by the National Physical Laboratory in the UK. It offers training and workshops for students and early career researchers in various fields of physics, including nanotechnology and quantum science. The program also conducts research and development in these areas.

5. How can I learn more about building an electron pump?

The NPL Physics Academy offers courses and workshops on building an electron pump, as well as other topics in nanotechnology and quantum science. In addition, there are numerous research articles and publications available on the subject. It is also helpful to have a background in physics and nanotechnology to fully understand the concepts and techniques involved in building an electron pump.