Electron Rotation: Energy Source for Atom Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the source of energy for electrons in an atom to constantly move around the nucleus. It is mentioned that the common understanding of electrons constantly revolving around the nucleus is a flawed model. The question of how electrons initially obtain their energy is also brought up, with the explanation that bound electrons have less energy than free electrons.
Venkatesh S K
Where from do the electrons in an atom get the energy to keep constantly moving around the nucleus of an atom

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your table constantly need energy to stay on the floor?
There is no need for power if you just keep the current state (unless you have things like friction - electrons do not).

Sir, but I have read that electrons are constantly revolving around the nucleus with high speed energies. Also, I did not understand how electrons got the energy when they first originated. The nucleus of an atom has a positive charge, so instead the electrons should be attracted towards the nucleus. I know that if this would have happened then matter would not have existed, but was just curious why electrons work as they do.

Venkatesh S K said:
Sir, but I have read that electrons are constantly revolving around the nucleus with high speed energies.
They are not, that is a very bad model of atoms. But even if they would, that would not need power.
Venkatesh S K said:
Also, I did not understand how electrons got the energy when they first originated.
Bound electrons have less energy than free electrons.

What is electron rotation?

Electron rotation refers to the movement of electrons in an atom around its nucleus. This motion is responsible for the atom's stability and determines its chemical and physical properties.

How does electron rotation act as an energy source for atom motion?

Electron rotation creates a magnetic field, and when multiple atoms with rotating electrons come together, their magnetic fields interact. This interaction results in the attraction or repulsion of the atoms, causing them to move and create kinetic energy.

What is the importance of electron rotation in chemical reactions?

Electron rotation plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as it determines the reactivity and bonding of atoms. The exchange or sharing of electrons during a reaction is what forms new chemical compounds, and this is only possible because of the rotation of electrons.

Can electron rotation be observed?

Electron rotation itself cannot be observed, as electrons are too small to be seen with the naked eye. However, scientists can indirectly observe and study electron rotation through various techniques such as spectroscopy and electron microscopy.

How is electron rotation related to electricity?

Electron rotation is closely related to electricity as the flow of electrons is what creates an electric current. In materials such as metals, the electrons are able to move freely, which allows for the flow of electricity.