Electrostatic force between two objects

In summary, two fixed objects A and B, with charges of +1.18C and -0.937C respectively, are separated by 2.46 cm in a vacuum. To make the electrostatic force between them an attractive force with a magnitude of 32.3 N, a certain number of electrons must be removed from A and placed onto B. By using Coulomb's law and substituting the given charges for Qa and Qb, a quadratic equation is obtained. However, the solutions are imaginary, indicating that there is an error in the calculation. The full calculation should be shown in order to determine the mistake and provide assistance.
chaslltt

Homework Statement

Two small objects, A and B, are fixed in place and separated by 2.46 cm in a vacuum. Object A has a charge of +1.18C, and object B has a charge of -0.937C. How many electrons must be removed from A and put onto B to make the electrostatic force that acts on each object an attractive force whose magnitude is 32.3 N?

Homework Equations

I using Coulombs law and I am plugging Qa+Q for Qa and Qb-Q for Qb. I end up getting a quadratic but only getting imaginary results

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

chaslltt said:
I using Coulombs law and I am plugging Qa+Q for Qa and Qb-Q for Qb. I end up getting a quadratic but only getting imaginary results
Show exactly what you did. (Careful with signs.)

hi chaslltt! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Related to Electrostatic force between two objects

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. It is caused by the presence of electric charges that exert a force on each other.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated?

The electrostatic force between two objects can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the two objects and the distance between them. It follows an inverse-square relationship, meaning that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases exponentially.

4. Can electrostatic force be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, electrostatic force can only be either attractive or repulsive. If two objects have opposite charges, they will experience an attractive force, while objects with the same charge will experience a repulsive force.

5. How can electrostatic force be useful in everyday life?

Electrostatic force has many practical applications, such as in the functioning of electronic devices, air purifiers, and printers. It is also used in industrial processes like painting and electroplating. In everyday life, we can see the effects of electrostatic force in actions like rubbing a balloon on hair to make it stick or getting a shock from touching a metal object after walking on a carpet.