Electrostatic force - charges jumping between objects

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about a positively charged ball being brought close to an electrically neutral conductor and then grounded. The question asks whether the conductor will be positively charged, negatively charged, or neutral in two different scenarios. The answer for scenario (a) is that the conductor will be neutral due to the grounding effect. However, for scenario (b), the answer states that the conductor will be negatively charged, which the person does not understand. They question why the electrons would flow from the conductor to the ball, and the expert summarizer suggests thinking about what an electron in the ground would do.
jssutton11
So I have this homework question that I answered already but still don't understand why the answer is correct.

A positively charged ball is brought close to an electrically neutral isolated conductor. The conductor is then grounded while the ball is kept close. Is the conductor charged positively, charged negatively, or neutral in each of the following cases?
(a) The ball is first taken away and then the ground connection is removed.
(b) The ground connection is first removed and then the ball is taken away.

I understand that in (a) the conductor will be neutral because the grounding effect causes electrons to go straight to the ground. But (b) I don't understand. The answer says that the conductor will be charged negatively, but I thought that when two charged objects are close or touch each other, the charge is shared between them. Or maybe that charge is only shared when the objects touch. Either way, I don't understand why the positively charged ball would make the conductor negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
your making it complicated. its simple. stop thinking about equations and just ask yourself what an electron in the ground would do.

An electron would go to a positively charged object, thus making that object it less positive. But would electrons just continue flowing from the conductor into the ball until the ball was negative?

why would electrons flow into the ball if they arent touching?

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged objects. It is caused by the interaction between the electric fields of the charged objects.

2. How does electrostatic force affect objects?

Electrostatic force can cause objects to either attract or repel each other, depending on the type of charge they possess. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

3. Can electrostatic force be observed in everyday life?

Yes, electrostatic force can be observed in many everyday situations such as when you rub a balloon on your hair and it sticks to a wall, or when you shuffle your feet on a carpet and then touch a metal doorknob and receive a shock.

4. How can electrostatic force be measured?

Electrostatic force can be measured using an instrument called an electroscope. This device detects the presence and strength of electric charges by using a metal rod or leaf that is repelled or attracted by the charges.

5. How do charges jump between objects?

Charges jump between objects when there is a difference in electric potential between them. This can occur through various ways, such as friction, induction, or contact. When the potential difference is high enough, charges will flow between the objects in the form of an electric current.