Solve Electrostatic Force Problem

In summary, electrostatic force is a fundamental force between two charged particles due to their electric fields. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law and is measured in Newtons or dynes. This force has various real-life applications and solving problems involving it can be challenging due to understanding electric fields, visualizing vectors, and dealing with complex geometries and charge distributions. Other factors, such as dielectric materials, also need to be considered.
PFStudent
TITLE: Hard Electric Charge Problem.

Homework Statement

15. The charges and coordinates of two charged particles held fixed in an xy plane are [itex]q_{1}[/itex] = +3.0 [itex]\mu[/itex]C, [itex]x_{1}[/itex] = 3.5 cm, [itex]y_{1}[/itex] = 0.50 cm, and [itex]q_{2}[/itex] = -4.0 [itex]\mu[/itex]C, [itex]x_{2}[/itex] = -2.0 cm, [itex] y_{2}[/itex] = 1.5 cm. Find the
(a) magnitude and
(b) direction of the electrostatic force on particle 2 due to particle 1. At what
(c) x and
(d) y coordinates should a third particle of charge [itex]q_{3}[/itex] = +4.0 [itex]\mu[/itex]C be placed such that the net electrostatic force on particle 3 due to particle 1 and 2 is zero.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law:

Vector Form:

[tex]
\vec{F}_{12} = \frac{k_{e}q_{1}q_{2}}{{r_{12}}^2}\hat{r}_{21}
[/tex]

Scalar Form:

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{12}| = \frac{k_{e}|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{{r_{12}}^2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]q_{1}[/itex] = +3.0 [itex]\mu[/itex]C

[itex]x_{1}[/itex] = 3.5 cm

[itex]y_{1}[/itex] = 0.50 cm

[itex]q_{2}[/itex] = -4.0 [itex]\mu[/itex]C

[itex]x_{2}[/itex] = -2.0 cm

[itex] y_{2}[/itex] = 1.5 cm

[itex]q_{3}[/itex] = +4.0 [itex]\mu[/itex]C

[itex]x_{3}[/itex] = ?

[itex] y_{3}[/itex] = ?

(a)

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{21}| = \frac{k_{e}|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{{r_{21}}^2}
[/tex]

[itex]r_{21} = \sqrt{(x_{2}-x_{1})^2+((y_{2}-y_{1})^2}[/itex]

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{21}| = \frac{k_{e}|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{(\sqrt{(x_{2}-x_{1})^2+((y_{2}-y_{1})^2})^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{21}| = \frac{k_{e}|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{(x_{2}-x_{1})^2+((y_{2}-y_{1})^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
sig. fig. \equiv 2
[/tex]

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{21}| = 35{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}N
[/tex]

(b)

[tex]
tan\theta = \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\theta = arctan\left(\frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
sig. fig. \equiv 2
[/tex]

[itex]\theta[/itex] = -10 degrees

[itex]\theta[/itex] = 3.5 x 10 degrees or [itex]6.1 rad.[/itex]

(c) and (d)

Ok, here is where I am stuck. I can’t find the [itex](x_{3}, y_{3})[/itex] such that the net force on [itex]q_{3}[/itex] will be zero.

So here is how I approach these parts.

[tex]\Sigma \vec{F}_{3} = 0[/tex]

[tex]0 = \vec{F}_{31} + \vec{F}_{32}[/tex]

[tex]-\vec{F}_{31} = \vec{F}_{32}[/tex]

[tex]|\vec{F}_{31}| = |\vec{F}_{32}|[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{k_{e}|q_{3}||q_{1}|}{{r_{31}}^2} = \frac{k_{e}|q_{3}||q_{2}|}{{r_{32}}^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{|q_{1}|}{|q_{2}|} = \frac{{r_{31}}^2}{{r_{32}}^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{|q_{1}|}{|q_{2}|} = \frac{(\sqrt{(x_{3}-x_{1})^2 + (y_{3}-y_{1})^2})^2}{(\sqrt{(x_{3}-x_{2})^2+ (y_{3}-y_{2})^2})^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{|q_{1}|}{|q_{2}|} = \frac{(x_{3}-x_{1})^2 + (y_{3}-y_{1})^2}{(x_{3}-x_{2})^2+ (y_{3}-y_{2})^2}
[/tex]

Two unknowns, one equation…, so then I figured that [itex]q_{3}[/itex] can only be placed on the line of force through [itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{2}[/itex].

The line of force is the imaginary axis (line) through [itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{2}[/itex].

Therefore, we essentially have a simple single axis problem where we need to find where on the same axis a charge [itex]q_{3}[/itex] can be placed such that the force on it due to [itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{2}[/itex] is zero.

In solving this problem, I referred to the following principle,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Given any two arbitrary un-like sign charges: [itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{2}[/itex], placed on an x-axis a distance L from each other. Then, the placement (on the x-axis) of a charge [itex]q_{3}[/itex] such that the net force on [itex]q_{3}[/itex] due to: [itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{2}[/itex], will be zero. Can be given as follows,

[itex]q_{1}q_{2} < 0[/itex] [itex]\therefore[/itex] [itex]q_{1}q_{2} \equiv -[/itex]

[tex]
|q_{1}| < |q_{2}|, |\vec{r}_{31}| < |\vec{r}_{32}|, |\vec{r}_{32}| > L
[/tex]

[tex]
|q_{1}| = |q_{2}|
[/tex], No equilibrium exists on x-axis.

[tex]
|q_{1}| > |q_{2}|, |\vec{r}_{31}| > |\vec{r}_{32}|, |\vec{r}_{32}| > L
[/tex]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[tex]
|q_{1}| < |q_{2}|
[/tex]

Then,

[tex]
|\vec{r}_{31}| < |\vec{r}_{32}|
[/tex]

Where,

[tex]
|\vec{r}_{32}| > L
[/tex]

Therefore, the charge [itex]q_{3}[/itex] must be placed (on the line of force) to the right of [itex]q_{3}[/itex]. We then let the distance between,

[itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{3}[/itex] = c

Now, going back to the original relationship,

[tex]
\frac{|q_{1}|}{{r_{31}}^2} = \frac{|q_{2}|}{{r_{32}}^2}
[/tex]

Now noting that: [itex]r_{31} = c[/itex] and [itex]r_{32} = r_{12} + c[/itex]

Then,

[tex]
\frac{|q_{1}|}{{(c)}^2} = \frac{|q_{2}|}{{(r_{12} + c)}^2}
[/tex]

Then, through some algebra the following result is arrived,

[tex]
c = \frac{r_{12}}{\pm \sqrt{\frac{|q_{2}|}{|q_{1}|}-1}}
[/tex]

Since, [itex]r_{12} \equiv[/itex] distance r from 1 to 2.

Then,

[tex]
r_{12} = \sqrt{(x_{2}-x_{1})^2+(y_{2}-y_{1})^2}
[/tex]

Substituting,

[tex]
c = \frac{\sqrt{(x_{2}-x_{1})^2+(y_{2}-y_{1})^2}}{\pm \sqrt{\frac{|q_{2}|}{|q_{1}|}-1}}
[/tex]

Letting, (for convenience) [itex]sig. fig. \equiv 4[/itex],

c = 0.3614 m, -0.024 m

Note: Real distance cannot be negative, therefore,

c = 0.3614 m

Ok, so I am now stuck, how am I supposed to use this distance, c to find the coordinates: [itex]x_{3}[/itex] and [itex]y_{3}[/itex]?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic is impeccable and the c is correct. To find a position c away from P1 in the direction pointed to by P1-P2, form a vector c*(P1-P2)/sqrt((P1-P2)^2) and add it to P1. Do you see how that works? It's c times a unit vector pointing the correct direction added to the initial position.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Your logic is impeccable and the c is correct. To find a position c away from P1 in the direction pointed to by P1-P2, form a vector c*(P1-P2)/sqrt((P1-P2)^2) and add it to P1. Do you see how that works? It's c times a unit vector pointing the correct direction added to the initial position.

Hey,

Thanks for the information, I looked over what you suggested and I couldn't quite, understand what you were trying to say.

So far, this is as much as I could gather, that given a distance,

[tex]
r_{13} = c
[/tex]

How is it that I construct a unit vector pointing in the correct direction and add that to the initial position? How do I do that? How does that lead me to to the coordinates,

[tex]
(x_{3}, y_{3})?
[/tex]

As far as the distance vector for [itex]q_{1}[/itex] to [itex]q_{3}[/itex], isn't that the following,

[tex]
\vec{r}_{13} = x_{3}\hat{i}-y_{3}\hat{j}
[/tex]

I don't understand how this helps, me solve for [itex](x_{3}, y_{3})[/itex].

Thanks for the help, any more information is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Ok. P1=(x1,y1), P2=(x2,y2). P1-P2=(x1-x2,y1-y2) is a vector that points in the direction from P2 towards P1. It has length L=sqrt((x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2) (the distance between P1 and P2). So (P1-P2)/L points in the same direction and has length 1 (its a unit vector). So c*(P1-P2)/L points in the same direction and has length c. So P1+c*(P2-P1)/L lies along the line between P2 and P1 but c units outside of the interval between P1 and P2 and nearest to P1. And I think that's what you want.

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force between two stationary charged particles due to their electric fields. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

How do you calculate electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are the units of electrostatic force?

The SI unit for electrostatic force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. In the CGS system, the unit is dynes (dyn), which is equivalent to g*cm/s^2.

What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force plays a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as electronic devices, air filtration systems, photocopying machines, and paint spraying. It is also essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.

What are some common challenges in solving electrostatic force problems?

Some common challenges in solving electrostatic force problems include understanding the concept of electric fields and how they interact with charged particles, visualizing vector quantities, and handling complex geometries and distributions of charge. It is also essential to consider the effects of dielectric materials and other factors that may affect the strength of the electrostatic force.