Electrostatics-determining velocities

• Thread starter plutolover
  • Start date
In summary: Centrifugal acceleration is the force that tries to keep the particle moving in a circle at a constant speed.
plutolover
My physics teacher gave us a problem about a charged particle; it was a theoretical problem, so there weren't any figures. He said that the charge of the particle, the value of the magnetic field, and the mass was known. Then he said that we needed to find the velocity of the charged particle. I am not sure how to do this!

i used the formula: qvB=F and set that equal to ma=F. From this i got qvB=ma, however, I am not sure how to simplify the equation so that I am only solving for velocity in terms of q,B, and m! please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
plutolover said:
My physics teacher gave us a problem about a charged particle; it was a theoretical problem, so there weren't any figures. He said that the charge of the particle, the value of the magnetic field, and the mass was known. Then he said that we needed to find the velocity of the charged particle. I am not sure how to do this!

i used the formula: qvB=F and set that equal to ma=F. From this i got qvB=ma, however, I am not sure how to simplify the equation so that I am only solving for velocity in terms of q,B, and m! please help!

you need the correct formula for a!

I don't think this is a good problem. You cannot get the velocity from the charge, mass, and magnetic field. If thee is a velocity, the charge would go in a circle forever (I think)

barryj said:
I don't think this is a good problem. You cannot get the velocity from the charge, mass, and magnetic field. If thee is a velocity, the charge would go in a circle forever (I think)

You think right.

So why can't the charge go around in a circle forever with a certain constant velocity (actually speed)?

BTW the problem omitted that you also need the radius of the circle.

rude man said:
you need the correct formula for a!

isn't a just delta v over time? then I would have time as an unknown variable. what do you mean by correct formula?

plutolover said:
isn't a just delta v over time? then I would have time as an unknown variable. what do you mean by correct formula?

v is a vector. A vector can change its magnitude, its direction, or both, with time.

So the hint for you is that v changes its direction but not its magnitude v. If the particle moves in a circle with let's say constant speed v, what is |dv/dt|? Hint: think centrifugal acceleration.

Note that I use bold characters for vectors and regular for their magnitudes.

rude man said:
Hint: think centrifugal acceleration.

Mmm.. centripetal?

FAQ: Electrostatics-determining velocities

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and their interaction with each other.

2. How is velocity determined in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, velocity is determined by using the equation v = qE/m, where v is the velocity, q is the charge, E is the electric field, and m is the mass of the charged particle.

3. What is the role of electric fields in determining velocities in electrostatics?

Electric fields play a crucial role in determining velocities in electrostatics as they are responsible for exerting a force on charged particles, which in turn affects their velocities.

4. Can electrostatics be applied to moving charges?

No, electrostatics only deals with charges at rest. When dealing with moving charges, the principles of electromagnetism must be used.

5. How is electrostatics used in practical applications?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, air purifiers, and inkjet printers. It is also used in particle accelerators and in the study of lightning and thunderstorms.

Back