Electrostatics uniform electric field of magnitude

In summary, an electron with an initial speed of 2.00×10^7m/s is moving parallel to a uniform electric field of magnitude 1.16×10^4N/C. The electron will travel a distance of approximately 0.0712m before it comes to a stop. It will take approximately 1.42x10^-8 seconds for the electron to return to its starting point.
meme177
An electron with speed 2.00×10^7m/s is traveling parallel to a uniform electric field of magnitude 1.16×10^4N/C .

#1). How far will the electron travel before it stops?
f=ma=Eq=-eE
a=-eE/m
I got a=-2.81x10^15
Then I used v(f)^2=v(i)^2+2a(x-x(i))
Solved for x...
x=-(V(i))^2/2(a)
x=.0712m

#2). How much time will elapse before it returns to its starting point?
v=v(i) +at
If we want the time BEFORE it returns
t=2V(i)/a
t=1.42x10^-8 s

I got both wrong on Mastering Physics ... Please help I don't know what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
meme177 said:
An electron with speed 2.00×10^7m/s is traveling parallel to a uniform electric field of magnitude 1.16×10^4N/C .

#1). How far will the electron travel before it stops?
f=ma=Eq=-eE
a=-eE/m
I got a=-2.81x10^15

You appear to have used a field of 1.6E4 instead of 1.16E4.

Likes 1 person
!
I got threw off with all the sixes! Thanx a bunch!

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other. It is a branch of physics that deals with electric fields, electric potential, and electric potential energy.

2. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is an electric field in which the magnitude and direction of the field are constant throughout the region of interest. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a uniform electric field?

The magnitude of a uniform electric field is equal to the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the field. It can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge of the test charge.

4. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. On the other hand, electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy per unit charge of a particle in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

5. How does the direction of the electric field affect charged particles?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force that a charged particle will experience. A positively charged particle will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, whereas a negatively charged particle will experience a force in the opposite direction of the electric field.