Eliminating forces by taking a moment

In summary, if you take a moment about a point with a rigid connection, all the forces acting at that point are eliminated. However, the moment about the point due to a force that goes through the point is still given by r\times F. If the force doesn't act through the point, then Mx remains in the equation.
yoleven

Homework Statement

If I take a moment around a point with a rigid connection what forces do I eliminate at that connection?
If I have a reaction force in the Y direction, a reaction force in the X direction and a moment at that point can I eliminate Ry, Rx and Mx or does Mx remain.
Can you explain this a bit to me?
This lack of understanding is a stumbling block for me and it keeps tripping me up.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
yoleven said:

Homework Statement

If I take a moment around a point with a rigid connection what forces do I eliminate at that connection?

All of them. The moment [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] about a point [itex]O[/itex] due to a force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] acting at a displacement [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] from [itex]O[/itex] is given by [itex]\vec{M}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}[/itex]. If [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] acts at [itex]O[/itex] then [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the zero vector, hence the moment is zero.

hi yoleven! :smile:

a (linear) force which goes through the point has zero moment about that point, so (to use your words) it can be ignored

a couple, ie a pair of equal and opposite forces which are not in-line and so result in a pure moment or torque (is that what you meant?), has the same moment about any point …

you can check this by just drawing it as two offset equal forces, then calculating the moment about a random point in the same plane :wink:

Okay. Bear with me...
If the force I'm finding doesn't act through the point I'm taking the moment about.

Say A is rigid connection... I'll have Ax, Ay and Mx. I have a known point load acting somewhere along the beam and I want to find 'By' located a certain perpendicular distance from A.

When I take the moment about point A, I know I eliminate the Ax and Ay but does Mx remain.

When I take moments about point A will I have 2 unknowns in the equation or just one?

is Mx a couple (in which case, shouldn't it be Mz)? … if so, it definitely stays in the equation :smile:

(i don't follow what you're saying about 2 unknowns :confused:)

FAQ: Eliminating forces by taking a moment

1. What is the concept of "eliminating forces by taking a moment" in physics?

The concept of "eliminating forces by taking a moment" in physics refers to the use of a mathematical technique called the principle of moments to solve problems involving forces acting on a rigid body. This technique allows us to simplify complex force systems by reducing them to a single force acting at a specific point.

2. How does taking a moment help in solving force equilibrium problems?

Taking a moment helps in solving force equilibrium problems by reducing the number of unknown forces and simplifying the calculations. By choosing a specific point to take the moment about, we can eliminate any forces that pass through that point, allowing us to focus on the remaining forces that are causing the body to be in equilibrium.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a force?

A force is a vector quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, while a moment is a scalar quantity that describes the tendency of a force to rotate an object about a specific point. In other words, a moment is the measure of the turning effect of a force.

4. Can moments be negative?

Yes, moments can be negative. A negative moment indicates that the force is causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction compared to a positive moment. This can be seen in the direction of a force and the distance of the force from the point of rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of eliminating forces by taking a moment?

The principle of moments is used in various real-world applications, such as designing structures like bridges and buildings to ensure they can support the forces acting on them. It is also used in mechanics and engineering to analyze the forces acting on different mechanical systems. Additionally, taking a moment is also used in sports, such as balancing a seesaw or a gymnast on a balance beam.