EM Stress-Energy Tensor Derivation: Understanding the Symmetry and Conditions

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the E&M stress-energy tensor. The speaker is confused about why it has to be symmetric and what prevents arbitrary constants from being added to it. They are specifically looking for a detailed derivation and explanation of the free-space E&M stress-energy tensor, as well as the E&M stress-energy tensor without the assumption of a linear material.
michael879
Can someone please walk me through (or provide a link that does) the derivation of the EM stress-energy tensor? I get all the concepts I'm just a little confused on some of the details. Basically, you have the definition of the stress energy tensor in terms of the lagrangian, and the condition that [itex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 0[/itex]. What you end up with is an expression that can have anything added to it as long as its derivative remains 0. This is how you generally make the stress-energy tensor symmetric. What I'm confused about is WHY it has to be symmetric, and what prevents you from adding arbitrary constants to it? Is there some condition I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok to add a little more detail to what I'm looking for, I'm trying to derive the E&M stress energy tensor for an SU(N) gauge field in a "material" (i.e. the constitutive relations relating E and B to D and H are undefined). This is a trivial exercise, since the stress-energy tensor is easily derived from the lagrangian. My problem is in getting an expression like the U(1) stress-energy tensor in free space, which is typically made to be symmetric. If I could just understand why it has to be made symmetric, and what the E&M stress-energy tensor is in some material, it would help a lot (generalizing to an SU(N) field is easy).

So basically I'm looking for:
1) a detailed derivation and explanation of the free-space E&M stress-energy tensor
2) the E&M stress-energy tensor without the assumption of a linear material (i.e. undefined constitutive relations)

What is the EM Stress-Energy Tensor?

The EM Stress-Energy Tensor is a mathematical representation of the energy and momentum density in an electromagnetic field. It describes the distribution of energy and momentum in the field and can be used to calculate the total energy and momentum of the field.

Why is it important to understand the symmetry of the EM Stress-Energy Tensor?

Understanding the symmetry of the EM Stress-Energy Tensor is important because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It also helps us to understand the relationship between energy and momentum in the field and how they are conserved.

What conditions must be met for the EM Stress-Energy Tensor to be symmetric?

The EM Stress-Energy Tensor must be symmetric in order for the conservation of energy and momentum to hold true. This means that the tensor must be unchanged when its indices are interchanged. This condition is known as the Lorentz condition.

How is the EM Stress-Energy Tensor derived?

The EM Stress-Energy Tensor is derived from the electromagnetic field equations, specifically the Maxwell's equations. By taking the components of the electromagnetic field and applying them to the tensor, we can calculate the energy and momentum density in the field.

What are some real-world applications of the EM Stress-Energy Tensor?

The EM Stress-Energy Tensor has many practical applications, including in the design and optimization of electronic devices, such as antennas and transmitters. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic radiation, such as light, and in the development of technologies such as optical fibers and solar cells.