Solve EMF, Induction Homework Problems

In summary, the two problems involve calculating the energy stored in an inductor and the minimum time required to change the current through an inductor. To solve these problems, we can use the formula U = 0.5*L*I^2 for energy stored in an inductor and V = -L(dI/dt) for the voltage across an inductor.
talaroue

Homework Statement

1. A 109.3 mH inductor whose windings have a resistance of 3.6 Ω is connected across a 11 V battery having an internal resistance of 1.83 Ω. How much energy is stored in the inductor?

2. The maximum allowable potential difference across a 225.7 mH inductor is 401 V. You need to raise the current through the inductor from 1.28 A to 3.88 A. What is the minimum time you should allow for changing the current?

Homework Equations

EMF(max)=wNBA
w=angular momentum
N=number of loops
B=magnetic field
A=area

The Attempt at a Solution

For both of these what seem to be similar problem I am hitting a dead end!

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought of something entirely different upon seeing wNBA...

Anyway, here's a hint: #1 asks for the energy stored in an inductor. Do you know a formula for that?

For #2, do you know an equation for the voltage (potential difference) across an inductor?

#1 U=.5L*I^2#2
V=-L(dI/dt)

d I= delta flux

talaroue said:
#1 U=.5L*I^2

V=-L(dI/dt)
Yep, that's right. Note that in both cases, I is electrical current (I hope you knew that).

Now do you have any ideas about how to use those formulas?

Related to Solve EMF, Induction Homework Problems

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage or potential difference created by a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or generator.

How is EMF calculated?

EMF is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the length of the conductor and the velocity of the conductor. It can also be calculated by using Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux over time.

What is induction?

Induction is the process of creating an EMF in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This can be achieved through various methods such as moving a magnet near a conductor or changing the current in a nearby conductor.

How do you solve EMF and induction homework problems?

To solve EMF and induction homework problems, you will need to use the relevant formulas and principles, such as Faraday's Law of Induction. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information, and then use the appropriate formula to calculate the desired value.

What are some real-life applications of EMF and induction?

EMF and induction have many real-life applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and wireless charging. They are also used in devices such as generators, microphones, and speakers. Additionally, induction is used in medical procedures such as MRI machines and in wireless communication technologies like RFID and NFC.