Emf long straight wire & loop

In summary, a square loop of wire with side length 2.8 cm and resistance 79 ohms is near a long straight wire carrying a current of 6.9 A North. The loop is moving to the right at 55 cm/s and the left side of the loop is 9.0 cm from the wire. The magnetic field due to the long wire is 3.48 T at the left side of the loop and 11.5 T at the right side of the loop. The net magnetic field is 14.98 T and the motional emf is 101.4 V. To solve for the motional emf, the magnetic fields due to each wire were added since they point in the
sona1177

Homework Statement

A square loop of wire of side 2.8 cm and electrical resistance 79 ohms is near a long straight wire that carries a current of 6.9 A North. The long wire and loop both lie in the plane of the screen. THe left side of the loop is 9.0 cm from the wire. Find the motional emf if the loop is moving to the right at 55 cm/s.

For both the right and left wire, the magnetic field points into the page, and I know i need the net magnetic field to solve for the E=vBL

Do I just add the magnetic fields due to each wire since they point in the same direction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can add the magnetic fields due to each wire since they point in the same direction. The magnetic field due to the long wire is given by B = (μ0I)/(2πr) where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire. For the left side of the loop, the distance is 9.0 cm so the magnetic field due to the wire is B = (μ0*6.9 A)/(2π*0.09 m) = 3.48 T. For the right side of the loop, the distance is 2.8 cm so the magnetic field due to the wire is B = (μ0*6.9 A)/(2π*0.028 m) = 11.5 T. The net magnetic field is then (3.48 + 11.5) T = 14.98 T. The motional emf is then given by E = vBL = (55 cm/s)*(14.98 T)*(2.8 cm) = 101.4 V.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force. It is a physical phenomenon that describes the force exerted by electric and magnetic fields on charged particles.

2. What is a long straight wire?

A long straight wire is a conducting material that extends in a straight line for a significant distance. It is often used in experiments to study the effects of EMF on charged particles.

3. How does a long straight wire produce EMF?

When an electric current flows through a long straight wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field, in turn, creates an electric field, resulting in an EMF.

4. What is a loop in the context of EMF?

A loop is a closed circuit or a circular path. In the context of EMF, it refers to a conducting material that is bent into a circular shape.

5. How does a loop interact with a long straight wire in terms of EMF?

When a long straight wire and a loop are placed close to each other, the changing magnetic field produced by the wire induces an EMF in the loop. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many electrical devices, such as generators and transformers.