Empirical Formula For Tetrodotoxin

• Thread starter Astronomer1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the pufferfish contains a deadly toxin called tetrodotoxin and the LD50 dosage for a 70kg person is 700 micrograms. The empirical formula for tetrodotoxin is C11H17N3O8, but there may have been a mistake in the original question. Avogadro's number can be used to calculate the molar mass of tetrodotoxin, which is 319g/mol.
Astronomer1
1. The Question: The pufferfish is an Asian delicacy, but also contains a deadly toxin, tetrodotoxin. The LD50 (lethal dose to kill 50% of the population) is 10 micrograms/kg. An analysis of 18.34 mg of tetrodoxin produced 27.82 mg of carbon dioxide, 13.2 mg of nitrogen dioxide, and 8.83 mg water in a combustion reaction.

a) Determine the empirical formula for tetrodotoxin. b) What mass of tetrodotoxin is the LD50 for a 70kg person?

2. The answer is C11H17N3O8, but I'm not getting it.

After converting to mass, and then back to moles, then dividing by the smallest # of moles, and then multiplying by the factor ("common denominator") that gives all integer values...I'm not getting what I'm supposed to be getting. I've also checked 5 times to make sure I'm not punching something wrong in the calculator.

3. I'm not going to type out the WHOLE thing of how I arrived to my answer, cause it took about one page of writing to arrive at the answer. But I'm not getting C11H17N3O8 for the empirical formula, I keep getting C11H17N5O6 which is WRONG. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if someone could help me, that would be great. Thanks! (I've attempted this question 5-6 times already, and keep getting the same WRONG answer.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could show the reaction which results from the combustion of TD. There may be a mistake there. If you don't show something, you can't expect help.

Your calculation seems to be right. Maybe your teacher misread a 5 for a 3 when setting up the exercise.

I got N5 as well.

Thanks everyone. It turns out that the teacher made an error in 1 of the masses. So the empirical formula (re-calculated) IS still C11H17N3O8. But now I'm stuck on Part b. I calculated the molar mass of tetrodotoxin which is 319g/mol. Does Avogradro's # play a role here in the calculation? I'm clueless again.

There's 1 Avogadro's number of molecules in a mole, if that's what you are asking. That works for any substance.

For part b, you are given the LD50 dosage (10 micrograms/kg body weight) How much toxin is required for the LD50 dosage if a person has a mass of 70 kg (This can be solved by looking at the units)

700 micrograms? I don't know...

Fine. Give him a whole gram. He'll be deader than last week's news.

The point about deadly toxins is, it doesn't take a whole lot of it to kill someone.

700 μg it is.

What is the empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin?

The empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin is C11H17N3O8.

What is Tetrodotoxin?

Tetrodotoxin is a potent neurotoxin found in certain species of pufferfish, as well as other marine animals like octopuses and blue-ringed octopuses. It is highly toxic and can cause paralysis and even death in humans if ingested.

How is the empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin determined?

The empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin is determined through empirical analysis, which involves analyzing the elemental composition of a compound. In the case of Tetrodotoxin, the elements carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen are analyzed and their ratio is used to determine the empirical formula.

What is the significance of the empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin?

The empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin provides information about the relative number of atoms of each element in a molecule of the compound, which can help scientists understand its chemical properties and behavior. It also serves as a basis for further research and synthesis of the compound.

Is the empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin the same as its molecular formula?

No, the empirical formula for Tetrodotoxin (C11H17N3O8) is not the same as its molecular formula (C11H17N3O8·2H2O). The molecular formula takes into account the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule, while the empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of these atoms.