Encircled energy for different aperture shapes (circle, triangle, square)

In summary, the conversation discussed a system with different aperture shapes, all 300um in diameter, and whether the calculated encircled energy after diffraction would vary due to the different diffraction patterns. It was noted that the area of the aperture, rather than the shape, may affect the energy passing through. The COG of spot positions was measured at different distances, revealing varied behavior at the edges. The use of different aperture shapes to achieve variations in diffraction patterns was also mentioned. The application of Fresnel diffraction was suggested as a helpful tool, despite its complexity.
Gifty01
TL;DR Summary
Encircled energy
Hi all, I have a system whereby, there are different aperture shapes which are: circle, triangle, square e.t.c. this apertures are all 300um in diameter. I will like to know if the encircled energy calculated for the different apertures after diffraction will be different due to different diffraction pattern. Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think not shapes but area of aperture matters for amount of energy going through.

I measured the center of gravity (COG) of the different spot position at different distances on the camera sensor after diffraction. but I noticed different behaviour of the COG calculated for the spots. they behaved differently at the edges.

IIRC, one of the planet-finder telescopes used different aperture shapes to get variations in diffraction patterns that resolved 'below limit' separations...

1. What is encircled energy?

Encircled energy refers to the amount of energy contained within a specific area around the center of an aperture. It is often used to measure the quality of an optical system, such as a telescope or camera lens.

2. How is encircled energy measured?

Encircled energy is typically measured by taking a series of images of a point source of light, such as a star, at different distances from the center of the aperture. The amount of light within a certain radius around the center is then calculated and compared to the total amount of light captured by the aperture.

3. How does encircled energy differ for different aperture shapes?

The shape of the aperture can affect the distribution of light and therefore the encircled energy. A circular aperture, for example, will have a more uniform distribution of light compared to a triangular or square aperture, which may have more concentrated areas of light.

4. What is the significance of encircled energy for different aperture shapes?

The encircled energy for different aperture shapes can provide valuable information about the quality and performance of an optical system. A higher encircled energy indicates a more efficient system with better image quality, while a lower encircled energy may indicate aberrations or imperfections in the system.

5. How can encircled energy be optimized for different aperture shapes?

Optimizing encircled energy for different aperture shapes involves finding the right balance between the amount of light captured and the distribution of that light. This can be achieved through careful design and testing of the optical system, including the shape and size of the aperture, as well as the placement and quality of any lenses or mirrors within the system.