Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

End Correction

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    I wonder if someone could explain what is meant by 'End Correction'

Any help is appriciated! thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In what context is the term being used?

4. May 15, 2005 #3
    We did an experiment to measure the velocity of sound by air colum by holding a vibrating tuning fork above a plastuc tube with one end in water. by moving the tube up and down we then found the shortest length of the air column that produced the loudest sound.

by plotting length against 1/f and finding the gradient of the line, we could find the velocity of sound. however the graph did not go through 0,0 and our teacher suggested this was due to 'end correction' but that we had to research what this meant.

I have looked in several books, and searched on the internet, but am unable to come up with an understandable meaning for me.

hope this helps!

5. May 15, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's what I thought you were talking about. In elementary treatments of standing sound waves in pipes, the antinode is treated as being exactly at the end of the pipe. But it's more complicated than that due to the interaction of the sound with the open air. It turns out that the "effective length" of a pipe depends on the geometry of the pipe end and how the air in the pipe interacts with the air outside the pipe. These are the "end corrections".

I had a bit of trouble myself trying to find something on the web to help you, but here's a start:
    http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/musFAQ.html#end
    http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/waves/pipes.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?