End Point Energy and Q value in beta decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of endpoint energy in beta decay and the confusion surrounding its definition. It is clarified that endpoint energy is the maximum kinetic energy observed in an experiment plus the rest mass energy of the electron. The conversation also highlights the importance of specifying which energy is being referred to when discussing endpoint energy.
avkr
I know that Q value of a reaction is the difference between total initial mass-energy and total final mass-energy of all the products. Then shouldn't be this also the maximum kinetic energy and hence endpoint energy of an electron in beta decay. But what I have read endpoint energy ##E_0 = Q + m_e c^2 ## where ##m_e## is the rest mass of electron. I'm thinking ##Q=E_0##. What I'm thinking wrong?
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,115
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide the reference where you read this.

Orodruin said:
Please provide the reference where you read this.

I have edited the question and attached the lecture slide I am reading.

I think I'm getting confused about the definition of endpoint energy. Is it the maximum kinetic energy of electron observed or the total relativistic energy of the beta particle.

Last edited:
This is still not a proper reference. Please refer to somewhere where we can check the entire source material.

If you let a particle of mass ##M## decay at rest in a two-body decay with product masses ##\mu## and ##m## with ##m < \mu < M## (which is essentially what you have for the beta decay if you look at the endpoint energy and ignore the neutrino mass), the resulting kinetic energy of the particle of mass ##m## will be
$$
T = Q\left( 1 - \frac{Q+2m}{2M}\right),
$$
where ##Q = M - \mu - m## (assuming I did the algebra correctly, this is a basic particle kinematics exercise). For ##Q,m \ll M## this expression becomes ##T \simeq Q##.

Orodruin said:
This is still not a proper reference. Please refer to somewhere where we can check the entire source material.

If you let a particle of mass ##M## decay at rest in a two-body decay with product masses ##\mu## and ##m## with ##m < \mu < M## (which is essentially what you have for the beta decay if you look at the endpoint energy and ignore the neutrino mass), the resulting kinetic energy of the particle of mass ##m## will be
$$
T = Q\left( 1 - \frac{Q+2m}{2M}\right),
$$
where ##Q = M - \mu - m## (assuming I did the algebra correctly, this is a basic particle kinematics exercise). For ##Q,m \ll M## this expression becomes ##T \simeq Q##.

Okay, but can you define exactly what endpoint energy is. In the article: https://www.nucleonica.com/wiki/index.php?title=Endpoint_energy, it says ##E_0 = Q + m_e c^2## which is "mass difference between the parent and daughter nuclides" for beta decay. So endpoint energy is not the maximum kinetic energy observed in an experiment but maximum kinetic energy + rest mass energy?

avkr said:
So endpoint energy is not the maximum kinetic energy observed in an experiment but maximum kinetic energy + rest mass energy?
That would be maximal total energy of the electron. You should make it clear which energy you refer to.

Likes avkr
Orodruin said:
That would be maximal total energy of the electron. You should make it clear which energy you refer to.
got it. thanks!

1. What is end point energy in beta decay?

End point energy in beta decay refers to the maximum kinetic energy that the beta particle (electron or positron) can have after the decay process. It is determined by the difference in mass between the parent nucleus and the daughter nucleus, and is a crucial factor in understanding the energy released during beta decay.

2. How is end point energy related to the Q value in beta decay?

The Q value in beta decay is the energy released during the decay process. It is directly related to the end point energy, as it is equal to the difference between the total energy of the parent nucleus and the total energy of the daughter nucleus. Therefore, the Q value can be calculated using the mass difference between the two nuclei and the end point energy.

3. What factors affect the end point energy and Q value in beta decay?

The end point energy and Q value in beta decay are affected by several factors, including the mass difference between the parent and daughter nuclei, the nuclear charge, and the strength of the nuclear force. Additionally, the spin and parity of the nuclei also play a role in determining these values.

4. How is end point energy measured in beta decay experiments?

End point energy can be measured in beta decay experiments using techniques such as beta spectrometry, which measures the energy of the beta particles emitted during the decay process. The end point energy can also be calculated using theoretical models and compared to experimental results.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding end point energy and Q value in beta decay?

Understanding end point energy and Q value in beta decay is important in various fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It helps in predicting the energy released during nuclear reactions and in developing new technologies for energy production. In medical imaging, knowledge of these values is crucial for determining the appropriate dose of radiation to be used in treatments such as radiotherapy.