Energy differences when climbing a flight of stairs

In summary: Pavadrin, If you are moving away from the center of the earth, your angular momentum will increase. This means that your kinetic energy will also increase.
pavadrin
Hey
If I were to climb a flight of stairs I would gain potential energy because I would be moving further away from the centre of the earth. However would I have more, less or equal amounts of kinetic energy at the top of the flight of stairs, or at the base and why would this be so? If what I had previously stated is also incorrect, could an explanation be provided on what the correct thesis is and why.
Thanks in advance to those who chose to reply,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
Hey
If I were to climb a flight of stairs I would gain potential energy because I would be moving further away from the centre of the earth.

Correct. You raised your potential energy by doing work, that is your legs pushed you up the flight of stairs. This energy can be recovered if you were to slide down the stairs on a tray (or whatever else will do without getting you into too much trouble). The work that you did pushing yourself up the stairs were "stored" in the system formed by your body and the earth.

Kinetic energy is not stored. It can be increased or decreased depending on the application of an external force. If the force works in the direction of the motion of the object it will increase its kinetic energy (it will move quicker) and vice versa.

Now coming back to climbing the stairs you need to do additional work, that is your legs need to push extra hard, if you want to go quickly up the stairs - you need to raise your potential energy and increase your kinetic energy.

If you are not in such a hurry your legs only need to push moderately hard in order to raise only your potential energy.

So it is completely up to you by how much your kinetic energy will differ at the top and the bottom of the stairs - it all depends on how eager you are to get up there.

pavadrin said:
Hey
If I were to climb a flight of stairs I would gain potential energy because I would be moving further away from the centre of the earth. However would I have more, less or equal amounts of kinetic energy at the top of the flight of stairs, or at the base and why would this be so? If what I had previously stated is also incorrect, could an explanation be provided on what the correct thesis is and why.
Thanks in advance to those who chose to reply,
Pavadrin
Your angular momentum increases when you move farther from the Earth's centre. So your kinetic energy would increase by:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2\Delta r = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2h[/tex]

AM

thanks for the reply Andrew Mason and andrevdh

1. What is the difference in energy required to climb stairs versus walking on a flat surface?

The energy required to climb stairs is significantly higher than walking on a flat surface. This is because when climbing stairs, you are required to lift your entire body weight against the force of gravity, which requires more energy.

2. Does the height of the stairs affect the energy difference?

Yes, the height of the stairs does affect the energy difference. The higher the stairs, the more energy is required to climb them. This is because you have to lift your body weight over a greater distance, which requires more work and energy.

3. How does the speed at which you climb stairs affect the energy difference?

The speed at which you climb stairs does not significantly affect the energy difference. The majority of the energy required comes from lifting your body weight against gravity, and this remains constant regardless of speed. However, climbing stairs at a faster pace may result in a slightly higher energy expenditure due to increased muscle activation and movement.

4. Is there a difference in energy required for climbing up versus going down a flight of stairs?

Yes, there is a difference in energy required for climbing up versus going down a flight of stairs. When climbing up, you are required to lift your body weight against gravity, which requires more energy. When going down, you are essentially just controlling your descent, so the energy expenditure is lower.

5. Can climbing stairs be considered a form of exercise?

Yes, climbing stairs can be considered a form of exercise. It can help improve cardiovascular health, build leg muscles, and increase overall physical fitness. However, the intensity and effectiveness of this exercise will depend on factors such as the individual's weight, speed, and number of stairs climbed.