Calculating Frictional Work for Slowing Down a Car

• Thread starter ecthelion4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the question is asking for the amount of work done by frictional forces in slowing a 1000kg car from 24.9 m/s to 0 m/s. The suggested approach is to use energy methods and set the frictional force equal to the force required for the car to slow down.
ecthelion4

Homework Statement

How much work must be done by frictional forces in slowing a 1000kg car from 24.9 n/s to rest

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just never fully understood how slowing down worked. I just need a nudge in the right direction not you guys doing the work for me. I don't think I'm supposed to do a force analysis, but then again I don't know how to do the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
ecthelion4 said:

Homework Statement

How much work must be done by frictional forces in slowing a 1000kg car from 24.9 n/s to rest

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just never fully understood how slowing down worked. I just need a nudge in the right direction not you guys doing the work for me. I don't think I'm supposed to do a force analysis, but then again I don't know how to do the problem.
If you are familiar with energy methods, you should start there. Look at the car's mechanical energy at the beginning and at the end of its motion. Assume level ground.

You will set the frictional force equal to the force required to slow the car from 24.9 m/s to 0 m/s.

1. What are energy methods in physics?

Energy methods in physics refer to techniques used to solve problems involving energy, such as the conservation of energy or calculating the work done by a force on an object.

2. How are energy methods used to solve problems?

Energy methods involve using mathematical equations and principles, such as the work-energy theorem, to analyze and solve problems involving energy. They can also be used to determine the stability of a system or predict the motion of an object.

3. What are some examples of energy methods in real-life applications?

Some examples of energy methods in real-life applications include calculating the potential energy of a roller coaster at the top of a hill, determining the work done by a person lifting weights, and analyzing the motion of a pendulum.

4. Can energy methods be applied to all types of energy?

Yes, energy methods can be applied to all types of energy, including kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electrical energy. They are based on the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

5. Are energy methods always the best approach to solving a problem involving energy?

No, energy methods are not always the best approach to solving a problem involving energy. In some cases, other methods, such as Newton's laws of motion, may be more appropriate or efficient for solving a particular problem. It is important to understand the different methods and choose the most appropriate one for a given problem.