Energy of a system-a box moving in a circle

In summary, the question involves a light spring with an unstressed length of 15.5cm and a spring constant of 4.30N/m. One end of the spring is attached to a punk of unknown mass, which is set into motion in a circle with a period of 1.30s. The goal is to find the extension of the spring, represented by x, in terms of the mass m. The initial attempt at a solution involved using the equation 1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2, but it was determined that this was not the correct approach. Instead, the correct equations to use involve finding the angular velocity ω and expressing the radial acceleration in terms of ω and
haha1234

Homework Statement

A light spring has unstressed length 15.5cm.It is described by Hooke's law with spring constant 4.30N/m.One end of the horizontal spring is held on a fixed vertical axle,and the other end is attached to a punk of mass that can move without friction over a horizontal surface.The punk is set into motion in a circle with a period of 1.30s.
Find the extension of the spring x as it depends on m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly,I found the velocity of the punk.
1/2kx2=1/2mv2
v=[(4.3x2)/m]1/2
But I don't know what is the next step.:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Let r be the radius of the circle. What is the radial acceleration of the mass? If the mass is traveling at this radius, how much is the spring stretched? What is the centripetal force that the spring must supply?

I don't think you are using the right equation here. Your equation is saying that the energy in the spring equals the kinetic energy of the punk - why would that be the case? Do you know any other equations that might apply?

Jilang said:
I don't think you are using the right equation here. Your equation is saying that the energy in the spring equals the kinetic energy of the punk - why would that be the case? Do you know any other equations that might apply?

I have used this approach is because the question has given the period of the circle,so I think I should find the velocity...

OK, do you know any other equations that have velocity in them?

What's the angular velocity ω?

chestermiller said:
what's the angular velocity ω?

ω=360°/1.3
=277?
andω=4.3/m?

Last edited:
haha1234 said:
ω=360°/1.3
=277?
andω=4.3/m?
The angle has to be in radians, not degrees. After you get the angular velocity correct, express the radial acceleration in terms of ω and r.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
The angle has to be in radians, not degrees. After you get the angular velocity correct, express the radial acceleration in terms of ω and r.

Chet

I think I cannot get the correct radical acceleration.
The radical acceleration I have got is a=(4∏2/1.69)x

haha1234 said:
I think I cannot get the correct radical acceleration.
The radical acceleration I have got is a=(4∏2/1.69)x

Correct...It would be better if you express it as a=(4∏2/1.69)(.155+x) where x is the extension in the spring .

Tanya Sharma said:
Correct...It would be better if you express it as a=(4∏2/1.69)(.155+x) where x is the extension in the spring .

Why the radius of the circle is 0.155+x?

haha1234 said:
Why the radius of the circle is 0.155+x?

What do you think radius would be ?

Likes 1 person

What is the energy of a system?

The energy of a system refers to the total amount of energy contained within that system, including both potential and kinetic energy.

How does a box moving in a circle have energy?

A box moving in a circle has kinetic energy due to its motion, as well as potential energy due to its position within the gravitational field of the Earth.

What factors affect the energy of a system?

The energy of a system can be affected by the mass, velocity, and position of the objects within it, as well as external forces such as gravity or friction.

What is the relationship between energy and work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the case of a box moving in a circle, work is done by the force of gravity on the box, which is converted into kinetic and potential energy.

How is the energy of a system conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. In a closed system such as a box moving in a circle, the total energy remains constant, although it may change forms as the box moves.