Energy of an electron in a betatron

In summary, the problem involves determining the energy acquired by an electron during one acceleration period in a betatron. The trajectory of the particles is a circle with a set radius, and the varying magnetic field is perpendicular to the circle. The period lasts for time T and the magnetic flux density increases from zero to its maximum value B_max linearly during one acceleration period. The solution involves using Faraday-Henry law and the work done by a force equation to calculate the energy, which is given by E = q πr² B_max/T. However, there may be a mistake with the direction of B, and there is no mass dependency in the equation, which may seem unusual for a particle accelerator. The advice given to derive an equation
DeIdeal
I might've figured this out by myself already, check the EDITs.

Homework Statement

"Charged particles are accelerated in a betatron in a varying magnetic field so that the trajectory of the particles is a circle with a set radius and the varying field is perpendicular to the circle. Determine the energy acquired by an electron during one acceleration period (one full circle) when the period lasts for time T and magnetic flux density increases from zero to its maximum value B_max linearly during one acceleration period."

Homework Equations

Induction: ℰ = -dΦ/dt <=> ∫ E·dr = -d/dt ( ∫ B·dA )
Work done by a force: W = ∫ F·dr

(I should probably use these three as well, but I don't see why, check my comments)

Newton's second law: F = ma
a = v² / r u_r
Lorentz force: F = qv × B

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose a coordinate system where the positive direction for u_φ is counterclockwise and positive k[/B] points upwards.

As the increase in B is linear, magnetic flux density can be written as a function of time so that

B(t) = -(B_max/T) t k

Where the direction of B comes from Lorentz Force / Right-hand-rule, as the force of the magnetic field must point towards the center of the circle.

The electron aqcuires its energy only from the induced electric field since F_B does no work (as it's perpendicular to the velocity).

From Faraday-Henry law

-dΦ/dt = ∫ E·dr

-d( ∫ B·dA )/dt = 1/q ∫ F·dr // B||dA, B<0, A>0

-qA d(-|B|)/dt = W

E = q πr² B_max/T

(It seems I made a mistake with the direction of B after all, or should it be q = |q| here?)

And that seems all too simple. Still, I don't see where I made the mistake, so I'd appreciate if someone were to point me to the right direction.

We were actually given advice on how to approach the problem. It included deriving an equation for the velocity of the electron. This can obviously be done from the Lorentz force equation and F_B = m a_n, but I see no reason for doing this. Nor would I know how to actually use v(t). Should I do something like P = dW/dt = F_E v?

The units are correct, q πr² B_max/T gives Joules, but the equation doesn't seem reasonable. It has no mass dependency which seems a bit unusual considering a betatron is a particle accelerator.

EDIT: Wait, is it ∫ B · dA = B(t) A_circle that's incorrect? Should it be something like, umm,

dA = 2 π r dr = 2 π r v(t) dt ? And then what, integrate B(t)v(t) over T and do d/dT or something like that?

EDIT2: Changing ∫ B · dA to 2 π r ∫ B(t)v(t) dt gave me an equation that seems more reasonable (it has a mass dependency, correct units and q² so it's positive):

E = 2/3 q²/m B_max² π r²

Unless someone points out any mistakes with my reasoning, I think I'm going with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeIdeal said:

Homework Statement

"Charged particles are accelerated in a betatron in a varying magnetic field so that the trajectory of the particles is a circle with a set radius and the varying field is perpendicular to the circle. Determine the energy acquired by an electron during one acceleration period (one full circle) when the period lasts for time T and magnetic flux density increases from zero to its maximum value B_max linearly during one acceleration period."

Homework Equations

Induction: ℰ = -dΦ/dt <=> ∫ E·dr = -d/dt ( ∫ B·dA )
Work done by a force: W = ∫ F·dr

(I should probably use these three as well, but I don't see why, check my comments)

I chose a coordinate system where the positive direction for u_φ is counterclockwise and positive k[/B] points upwards.

As the increase in B is linear, magnetic flux density can be written as a function of time so that

B(t) = -(B_max/T) t k

Where the direction of B comes from Lorentz Force / Right-hand-rule, as the force of the magnetic field must point towards the center of the circle.

The electron aqcuires its energy only from the induced electric field since F_B does no work (as it's perpendicular to the velocity).

From Faraday-Henry law

-dΦ/dt = ∫ E·dr

-d( ∫ B·dA )/dt = 1/q ∫ F·dr // B||dA, B<0, A>0

-qA d(-|B|)/dt = W

E = q πr² B_max/T

(It seems I made a mistake with the direction of B after all, or should it be q = |q| here?)

[PLAIN]http://www.vvio.info/jpg1
And that seems all too simple. Still, I don't see where I made the mistake, so I'd appreciate if someone were to point me to the right direction.

We were actually given advice on how to approach the problem. It included deriving an equation for the velocity of the electron. This can obviously be done from the Lorentz force equation and F_B = m a_n, but I see no reason for doing this. Nor would I know how to actually use v(t). Should I do something like P = dW/dt = F_E v?

The units are correct, q πr² B_max/T gives Joules, but the equation doesn't seem reasonable. It has no mass dependency which seems a bit unusual considering a betatron is a particle accelerator.
It has no mass dependency which seems a bit unusual considering a betatron is a particle accelerator

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Energy of an electron in a betatron

1. What is the energy of an electron in a betatron?

The energy of an electron in a betatron is determined by its acceleration and the strength of the magnetic field in the betatron. This energy is typically measured in electron volts (eV).

2. How is the energy of an electron in a betatron calculated?

The energy of an electron in a betatron can be calculated using the equation E = qVB, where E is the energy, q is the charge of the electron, V is the voltage of the betatron, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between the energy of an electron in a betatron and its speed?

The energy of an electron in a betatron is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the energy increases, the speed of the electron also increases. However, the speed of the electron cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. Can the energy of an electron in a betatron be changed?

Yes, the energy of an electron in a betatron can be changed by adjusting the voltage or magnetic field strength in the betatron. This allows scientists to control the energy of the electron and study its behavior in different energy levels.

5. What is the significance of the energy of an electron in a betatron?

The energy of an electron in a betatron is important in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments. It also has practical applications in medical imaging and radiation therapy, where high-energy electrons are used to produce X-rays for imaging and cancer treatment.