Energy Problem Involving KE and PE

• Thread starter jcfor3ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem involves finding the instantaneous velocity at the bottom of a hill with no given mass. The equations used are KE=m*g*h, PE=1/2mv^2, and Work=F*d. The total mechanical energy is equal to the sum of initial kinetic energy, initial potential energy, and external work. The mass is not given, but it can be cancelled out in the equation to find the velocity.
jcfor3ver

Homework Statement

I attached a link with the description of the problem attached to it.

Homework Equations

PE=m*g*h
KE=1/2mv^2
Work=F*d

Total Mechanical Energy= KEinitial+PEinitial+Workexternal

The Attempt at a Solution

I was totally confused by this problem because the mass was not given to me. I'll show what I did:

KE=9*m/2-----top of hill
PE=245*m----top of hill

At bottom of hill PE is zero because of no height, therefore KEinitial+PEinitial=KEfinal

The problem wants to find the instantaneous velocity at the bottom of the hill. I am totally confused on how to solve this without the mass given though, help very greatly appreciated. If the attachment doesn't work or is too small, tell me and I will write out that question. I just need some boost to get me goin on this problem.

Attachments

• PHYSICS PRINT SCREEN PROBS.doc
    173 KB · Views: 264
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jcfor3ver! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
jcfor3ver said:
I was totally confused by this problem because the mass was not given to me.

At bottom of hill PE is zero because of no height, therefore KEinitial+PEinitial=KEfinal

The problem wants to find the instantaneous velocity at the bottom of the hill.

(i can't read your attachment, but anyway …)

that equation should give you the velocity: just call the mass "m", and you'll find it'll cancel out (because it's in everything! :wink:)

1. What is the relationship between kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE)?

The relationship between KE and PE is that they are both forms of energy that an object possesses. KE is the energy an object has due to its motion, while PE is the energy an object has due to its position or state. These two forms of energy are often interconverted in a system, with one form increasing as the other decreases.

2. How do you calculate the total energy in a system involving both KE and PE?

To calculate the total energy in a system involving both KE and PE, you can use the formula: Total Energy = KE + PE. This means that you simply add the values of the kinetic and potential energy together to get the total energy in the system.

3. Can an object have both kinetic and potential energy at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both kinetic and potential energy at the same time. This is often the case in systems where an object is in motion while also being affected by gravity or another force that gives it potential energy. For example, a roller coaster has both kinetic energy as it moves and potential energy at the top of a hill due to its height.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The mass and velocity of an object have a direct relationship with its kinetic energy. The higher the mass of an object, the higher its kinetic energy will be at a given velocity. Similarly, the higher the velocity of an object, the higher its kinetic energy will be at a given mass. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to mass and velocity squared.

5. Is it possible for an object to have potential energy without having kinetic energy?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have potential energy without having kinetic energy. This is often the case when an object is at rest or at the top of its motion, such as a ball on a shelf or a pendulum at its highest point. In these situations, the object has potential energy due to its position, but no kinetic energy due to lack of motion.