Energy Released in Stellar Nucleosynthesis

In summary, the mass defect for a nucleus is the difference between the mass of the composite particle and the sum of the masses of its parts, and it is also equal to the binding energy released during nuclear fusion. To calculate the binding energy released during a proton-proton chain reaction, you would use the masses of the protons and neutrons, the atomic number and mass number of the nucleus, and the mass of the nucleus. However, it is important to use units of energy from start to finish, rather than converting to mass units and then back to energy. In this case, the binding energy released during the proton-proton chain reaction would be 26.731 MeV.
Amrator
This is taken from page 226 in Essential Astrophysics by Lang:

"The mass defect, ##ΔM##, for a nucleus containing ##A## nucleons, ##Z## protons, and ##A-Z## neutrons is
$$ΔM = Z m_p + (A - Z) m_n - m_{nuc}$$ where ##A## is the mass number of the nucleus, ##Z## is the atomic number, ##m_p## is the mass of the proton, ##m_n## is the mass of the neutron, and ##m_{nuc}## is the mass of the nucleus.

The binding energy, ##E_B##, used to assemble the nucleus from its constituent nucleons is:
$$E_B = ΔM c^2$$ The binding energy measures how tightly bound a nucleus is."

So mass defect represents both the difference between the mass of a composite particle and the sum of the masses of its parts and the binding energy released during nuclear fusion? If I wanted to calculate the binding energy released during the proton-proton chain reaction, would I simply plug in 938.272 MeV for ##m_p##, 939.5654 MeV for ##m_n##, 2 for ##Z##, 2 for ##A-Z## (4 total nucleons minus 2 protons for a helium atom), and 3727.379 MeV for ##m_{nuc}##? This gives me 28.2958 MeV. Multiplying that by (3 x 10^8 m/s)^2 gives me 2.54662 x 10^18. Is this correct? Is that the energy released during a nuclear fusion reaction in a main sequence star?

If it helps to know, I took both calculus-based E&M (level of Purcell) and multi-variable calculus/vector calculus last semester. I have not taken university-level chemistry yet.

Thanks, guys!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Amrator said:
This gives me 28.2958 MeV. Multiplying that by (3 x 10^8 m/s)^2 gives me 2.54662 x 10^18. Is this correct? Is that the energy released during a nuclear fusion reaction in a main sequence star?
The first part is (roughly that many MeV), but you shouldn't multiply that by c^2 - MeV is already a unit of energy. I.e., the values you used are not in MeV, but in the convenient mass units of MeV/c^2. If you multiply a mass of 1 MeV/c^2 by c^2 you get 1 MeV of energy.

(Or you can just forget about mass altogether and use units of energy from start to finish)

Likes D H
Amrator said:
This gives me 28.2958 MeV. ... Is that the energy released during a nuclear fusion reaction in a main sequence star?
@Bandersnatch already caught your big error, what was not using units correctly. The answer to the highlighted question is no. Some of that binding energy represents two protons becoming two neutrons. An easy way to get the correct answer is to look at what the system starts and ends with. The proton-proton chain changes four protons and two electrons into an alpha particle. Add the numbers up and you get 26.731 MeV rather than 28.2958 MeV.

Likes Bandersnatch

What is stellar nucleosynthesis?

Stellar nucleosynthesis is the process by which elements are created in the cores of stars through nuclear fusion reactions. This process occurs at extremely high temperatures and pressures, and is responsible for the production of elements heavier than hydrogen and helium.

How is energy released in stellar nucleosynthesis?

Energy is released in stellar nucleosynthesis through nuclear fusion reactions, which convert lighter elements into heavier ones. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy, which is what powers stars and allows them to shine.

What elements are created in stellar nucleosynthesis?

The elements created in stellar nucleosynthesis depend on the mass of the star. Generally, stars produce hydrogen, helium, and small amounts of lithium during their main sequence phase. As they evolve and reach the end of their lives, they can produce heavier elements such as carbon, oxygen, and iron.

What role does gravity play in stellar nucleosynthesis?

Gravity plays a crucial role in stellar nucleosynthesis by creating the high temperatures and pressures necessary for nuclear fusion reactions to occur. Gravity also holds the star together, allowing it to maintain its high temperatures and pressures for an extended period of time.

How does the energy released in stellar nucleosynthesis affect the universe?

The energy released in stellar nucleosynthesis is responsible for the formation of new stars, planets, and other celestial bodies. It also plays a crucial role in the evolution of the universe, as the elements created in stellar nucleosynthesis are essential building blocks for all matter in the universe.