Engineering Physics Projections

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to pursue a career in physics research and his concerns about the economy and job market. He is seeking advice on what degree program to pursue that would allow him to do research but also have a fallback option in case he is unable to find a research job. He is currently considering aeronautical engineering, but some respondents caution that it may not be a guaranteed path to a job in that field. The individual is also seeking advice on how to prepare for his chosen career path. In conclusion, the conversation highlights the importance of making sacrifices and taking risks in order to pursue one's
allenrithmic
This is a multifaceted question that pertains to both the academic and career fields, but since it has a little mode to do with academia, I thought posting here would be appropriate.

I am soon to begin university, and I have recently developed a strong desire to get into physics research. I want to do this because of philosophical reasons, but I am mature enough to recognize that the world tends to require things out of people such that there isn't much room for their ideologies by the time they're done with college. My point is that, being a U.S. citizen, the economy in the nation that I live in is probably not going to support too much research by the time I finish my studies. I currently work in comparative medicine research, and my department head, who is himself a researcher, always briefs everyone on the tumultuous future of the industry.

I've decided that it would be best to do some kind of a program that opens the door for research, but at the same time has the safety net of providing me the knowledge to get into production if necessary. Aeronautical engineering seems like it would be this way. For research, I would like to do engineering physics and astrophysics, and if necessary, I'd just get a job in aeronautics. Does this seem possible/reasonable to anyone? If so, what programs/schools should I look in to?

Also, this is a recent discovery, and as such I haven't prepared in the past concerning mathematics. I have taken calculus in high school a few years ago, and am now going through my calculus text once again, and studying linear algebra as well. In what other ways should I prepare myself? I am currently completing my AA in science, and when that is done next fall, I will be applying to a program.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
allenrithmic said:
I've decided that it would be best to do some kind of a program that opens the door for research, but at the same time has the safety net of providing me the knowledge to get into production if necessary.
I don't see how Engineering Physics does this. From a different angle it means you're less qualified for either area (research or industry).

Aeronautical engineering seems like it would be this way. For research, I would like to do engineering physics and astrophysics, and if necessary, I'd just get a job in aeronautics. Does this seem possible/reasonable to anyone? If so, what programs/schools should I look in to?

You would "just" get a job in aeronautics? Do you have any appreciation for how difficult this might be?

fss said:
You would "just" get a job in aeronautics? Do you have any appreciation for how difficult this might be?

I do. That's why, at the end, I said "does this seem reasonable and/or possible?" I acknowledge that there are much more intelligent people than myself here, not to mention more accomplished people. I asked for advice, not obvious factoids.

allenrithmic said:
I asked for advice, not obvious factoids.

Not sure that telling people off is the best way to go about soliciting advice..

= |

meh. The response to the thread is what solicited my response. I asked questions, and I was answered with: 1. the major that I'm thinking of taking up is a bad idea. (I emphasize the period, because nothing more was added after the fact that my idea was a bad one) 2. that something that I asked for insights into is "hard." I know that! That's why I asked for advice.

My saying that I'd 'just' do something is me indicating that it is a fallback, with research being the primary goal.

I just asked for advice man. This looked like a good source for relevant information, but it turns out people just enjoy telling me useless things here. Account = deleted.

Why do you want to get into Engineer Physics? If physics excites you then do physics, if you like engineering and want a job out of university then do engineering. An engineering physics degree isn't the best degree although you'll be more employable than a physicist. I would recommend you do a Mechanical Engineering degree as you can diversify yourself into various fields from nano to aeronautics, an Engineering Physics degree may not prepare you enough and isn't as recognized by employers, you'll likely be s Systems engineer. What it comes down to is what you want.

EDIT: I just read over your post and realized that you want to go into aeronautical engineering. I'd say that is a good approach although aeronautical engineering is a specialization. If you end up not finding a job in aeronautics you really can't apply your knowledge to many other industries.

I responded the way I did because your original post reeks of ignorance. Not only is your original plan of getting a research job in "engineering physics and astrophysics" a long shot, your backup plan is similarily difficult to obtain- especially if you pursue a research career in E.P. and astrophysics, which normally requires a PhD to get anywhere.

That said, it is my opinion that you need to fundamentally re-think your strategy while you still have time. Statements like this:
I've decided that it would be best to do some kind of a program that opens the door for research, but at the same time has the safety net of providing me the knowledge to get into production if necessary.
...give exactly zero insight into what your actual interests are. Wow, who would have thought that someone wants a degree that makes you employable in industry and attractive to academia as well!?? Don't you think that if the magic major that opened all doors and closed none existed, everyone would get a degree in it and oversaturate the market?

You will have to make a sacrifice in terms of your professional appeal to research/industry depending on which route you choose. You might graduate with an E.P. degree and be the best CAD drafter/designer in the world; but if a hiring manager gets a pile of 6000 resumes on their desk, those without "B.S. Mechanical Engineering" are probably going to get culled within the first 15 minutes. That's just how it works.

Standard advice is to major in what interests you. If engineering physics interests you- why wouldn't you pursue it? If your concerns about getting a job outweigh whatever personal satisfaction you'd get from E.P., perhaps you should look into something more applied like an engineering degree.

allenrithmic said:
meh. The response to the thread is what solicited my response. I asked questions, and I was answered with: 1. the major that I'm thinking of taking up is a bad idea. (I emphasize the period, because nothing more was added after the fact that my idea was a bad one) 2. that something that I asked for insights into is "hard." I know that! That's why I asked for advice.

My saying that I'd 'just' do something is me indicating that it is a fallback, with research being the primary goal.

I just asked for advice man. This looked like a good source for relevant information, but it turns out people just enjoy telling me useless things here. Account = deleted.

:cry: Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:
fss said:
Not only is your original plan of getting a research job in "engineering physics and astrophysics" a long shot, your backup plan is similarily difficult to obtain- especially if you pursue a research career in E.P. and astrophysics, which normally requires a PhD to get anywhere.

Let me clarify: I think that it would be good study to engage both of these sciences simultaneously. If I was going to make myself appealing to both industry and research, then this is the way that makes the most sense to me, with the knowledge that I have right now.

The reason why this is poorly thought out, by the way, is because research has been the only thing I've thought I was going to move toward, but lately I've been having second thoughts, because laboratory work doesn't seem to offer too much security. I'm not interested in becoming a salary-man and making truckloads of money, but I don't want to worry about food and a bed.

fss said:
That said, it is my opinion that you need to fundamentally re-think your strategy while you still have time. Statements like this:

...give exactly zero insight into what your actual interests are. Wow, who would have thought that someone wants a degree that makes you employable in industry and attractive to academia as well!??

Great sarcasm. I'm not saying that I want to pursue a magic PhD that makes me the science and engineering poster-boy like this rhetoric suggests. I'm saying that I want to study a field with focus on academic research, that leaves the door cracked, at the least, to an applied engineering job if I can't get something in research. That doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me. Though, perhaps it is. I would think though, especially in the current economic climate, that a hiring manager would see that and understand why I did school the way that I did.

fss said:
You will have to make a sacrifice in terms of your professional appeal to research/industry depending on which route you choose. You might graduate with an E.P. degree and be the best CAD drafter/designer in the world; but if a hiring manager gets a pile of 6000 resumes on their desk, those without "B.S. Mechanical Engineering" are probably going to get culled within the first 15 minutes. That's just how it works.

Now we're talking. No passive-aggressive remarks or anything, and some solid advice.

I appreciate the insights. I really do. But it just made me feel like writing this was a waste of time when the only reply from you was a brief "you're an idiot" remark with nothing more. You didn't hurt my feelings, but I did read it and think to myself, "What? This guy..."

Anyway, thanks for your time.

1. What is Engineering Physics Projections?

Engineering Physics Projections is a field that combines principles of physics and engineering to solve complex problems and design innovative solutions for various industries.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Engineering Physics Projections?

Graduates with a degree in Engineering Physics Projections can pursue careers in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, renewable energy, materials science, and medical technology. They can work as research scientists, engineers, consultants, or educators.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in Engineering Physics Projections?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics and engineering principles, are essential for success in Engineering Physics Projections. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other professionals on projects.

4. What are some common applications of Engineering Physics Projections?

Some common applications of Engineering Physics Projections include the design and development of new materials, renewable energy technologies, medical devices, and advanced electronics. It can also be applied to improve existing technologies and processes in various industries.

5. What are some notable advancements made in Engineering Physics Projections?

There have been many notable advancements made in Engineering Physics Projections, including the development of new materials with unique properties, such as graphene and carbon nanotubes. Other advancements include the creation of more efficient solar panels, advancements in medical imaging technology, and the development of advanced robotics and artificial intelligence systems.