Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entangled electron in High Temp Superconductors

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    I was reading an interview of Dr Subir Sachdev in the latest online issue of Quanta Magazine, and he mentions that Cooper pair electrons in the high temp superconductors (HTSC's) are globally entangled with one another, but in the low temperature (type 1) superconductors, they are not, and I assume only form individual Cooper pairs. The word "globally" is my own choice, and I thought it appropriately conveys what Dr. Sachdev says about Cooper pairs in the HTSC's entangling with one another en-masse.

Are there any ideas as to why these different types of superconductors behave so differently?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the bump. I wanted to put an "s" after "electron" to indicate plural, but was typing so fast I must have missed it. I'm not sure it's possible to change it now. Also I wanted to put a link in the original post to the article in Quanta magazine, but wasn't sure it was an approved source. So, (hoping Quanta is an acceptable online periodical), here's the link: https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160121-superconductors-and-string-theory/

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4
    There are plenty of ideas just little to back anything up. No one has a complete theory with a way to prove it, but what is known seems to indicate differences in the quantum phases near superconductivity as maybe a direction to look for more clues. I doubt it would help you much to know, but I think of each individual electron being all in the same comparable state, like they are all smeared into one "global" electron in contrast to the normal exclusion states.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook