Entangled electron in High Temp Superconductors

In summary, Dr. Subir Sachdev discusses the behavior of Cooper pair electrons in high temperature superconductors (HTSC's) and low temperature (type 1) superconductors. He suggests that in HTSC's, the Cooper pairs are globally entangled with each other, while in type 1 superconductors, they only form individual pairs. This difference in behavior may be attributed to variations in quantum phases near superconductivity. The complete theory behind this is yet to be proven, but further research may be focused on this concept.
Davephaelon
I was reading an interview of Dr Subir Sachdev in the latest online issue of Quanta Magazine, and he mentions that Cooper pair electrons in the high temp superconductors (HTSC's) are globally entangled with one another, but in the low temperature (type 1) superconductors, they are not, and I assume only form individual Cooper pairs. The word "globally" is my own choice, and I thought it appropriately conveys what Dr. Sachdev says about Cooper pairs in the HTSC's entangling with one another en-masse.

Are there any ideas as to why these different types of superconductors behave so differently?

Thank you for the bump. I wanted to put an "s" after "electron" to indicate plural, but was typing so fast I must have missed it. I'm not sure it's possible to change it now. Also I wanted to put a link in the original post to the article in Quanta magazine, but wasn't sure it was an approved source. So, (hoping Quanta is an acceptable online periodical), here's the link: https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160121-superconductors-and-string-theory/

Davephaelon said:
Are there any ideas as to why these different types of superconductors behave so differently?
There are plenty of ideas just little to back anything up. No one has a complete theory with a way to prove it, but what is known seems to indicate differences in the quantum phases near superconductivity as maybe a direction to look for more clues. I doubt it would help you much to know, but I think of each individual electron being all in the same comparable state, like they are all smeared into one "global" electron in contrast to the normal exclusion states.

Last edited:

1. What is an entangled electron in high temperature superconductors?

An entangled electron in high temperature superconductors refers to a phenomenon where two or more electrons become connected in such a way that the state of one electron cannot be described without the state of the other(s). This is an important aspect of superconductivity that allows for the flow of electricity with zero resistance.

2. How do entangled electrons contribute to the high temperature superconductivity?

Entangled electrons play a crucial role in high temperature superconductivity by allowing the electrons to move together as a coherent whole. This means they can travel without any energy loss, resulting in zero resistance and the high conductivity observed in these materials.

3. Can entangled electrons be observed in high temperature superconductors?

Yes, entangled electrons have been observed in various high temperature superconductors through experiments such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy and scanning tunneling microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to directly observe the entangled state of electrons in these materials.

4. How are entangled electrons created in high temperature superconductors?

Entangled electrons can be created in high temperature superconductors through various mechanisms, such as the pairing of electrons with opposite spins or the formation of Cooper pairs. These processes involve the interaction of electrons with the crystal lattice of the material, resulting in their entanglement.

5. What are the potential applications of entangled electrons in high temperature superconductors?

The ability to control and manipulate entangled electrons in high temperature superconductors has potential applications in various fields, such as quantum computing, high-speed electronics, and energy storage. Additionally, understanding the behavior of entangled electrons in these materials can lead to the development of even more efficient superconductors in the future.