How does temperature in Celcius affect enthalpy in a compressed liquid?

• Thread starter MariusM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Cv*T=h and the use of Celcius vs Kelvin in a problem. It is noted that the reference state for zero enthalpy is not absolute zero and may vary depending on the table used. The speaker plans to further research the concept of reference state for a better understanding.
MariusM
Hello!

I was playing around with a problem and while I was doing it I noticed a similarity between

Cv*T=h by using Celcius and not Kelvin.

So if I have a compressed liquid at say 50°C, looking up at a property table I find the hf to be 209.34 kJ/kg (the pressure is considered to be low). If you take the equation Cv*T, where Cv≈4.18 and T=50°C you get 209 kJ/kg. Doing this with kelvin instead gives a much larger number.

My question is why is the relation here Celcius? Does it have something to do with the saturated water tables being Celcius dependent?

Science news on Phys.org
MariusM said:
Hello!

I was playing around with a problem and while I was doing it I noticed a similarity between

Cv*T=h by using Celcius and not Kelvin.

So if I have a compressed liquid at say 50°C, looking up at a property table I find the hf to be 209.34 kJ/kg (the pressure is considered to be low). If you take the equation Cv*T, where Cv≈4.18 and T=50°C you get 209 kJ/kg. Doing this with kelvin instead gives a much larger number.

My question is why is the relation here Celcius? Does it have something to do with the saturated water tables being Celcius dependent?
The reference state for zero enthalpy is typically not taken as absolute zero. You have to look up in your table the specific reference state that they use for zero enthalpy. This information is usually given on the first page of the table at the very top. Or, you can look at the numbers in the table until you find a set of conditions where h is zero.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much for your informative reply! I will read more upon the subject of reference state regarding zero enthalpy so I'll hopefully get a full comprehension of this.

What is the definition of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In scientific terms, it is the amount of energy in a system that is no longer available to do work.

How is entropy related to temperature?

Entropy is directly related to temperature, as temperature increases, so does the entropy of a system. This is because as temperature increases, the molecules in a system move faster and become more disordered, leading to an increase in entropy.

What is the formula for converting Celsius to entropy?

There is no direct formula for converting Celsius to entropy. Entropy is measured in units of energy divided by temperature, so it is dependent on the specific system and its initial conditions.

Why is entropy important in thermodynamics?

Entropy is important in thermodynamics because it is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of energy and matter in a system. It allows us to understand and predict the direction of energy flow and the changes that occur in a system.

How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that as energy is transferred and work is done within a system, the disorder or randomness in that system will also increase. Therefore, entropy is directly related to the second law of thermodynamics.