1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy relation to Celcius.

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I was playing around with a problem and while I was doing it I noticed a similarity between

Cv*T=h by using Celcius and not Kelvin.

So if I have a compressed liquid at say 50°C, looking up at a property table I find the hf to be 209.34 kJ/kg (the pressure is considered to be low). If you take the equation Cv*T, where Cv≈4.18 and T=50°C you get 209 kJ/kg. Doing this with kelvin instead gives a much larger number.

My question is why is the relation here Celcius? Does it have something to do with the saturated water tables being Celcius dependent?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2
    The reference state for zero enthalpy is typically not taken as absolute zero. You have to look up in your table the specific reference state that they use for zero enthalpy. This information is usually given on the first page of the table at the very top. Or, you can look at the numbers in the table until you find a set of conditions where h is zero.

Chet

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much for your informative reply! I will read more upon the subject of reference state regarding zero enthalpy so I'll hopefully get a full comprehension of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook